Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Apr 2002 11:16:05 -0400
From:         "Thomas, Geoffrey" <Geoffrey.Thomas@USA.DEFENCE.GOV.AU>
Subject:      unclas Propane tank fill valve leak

I had a nasty experience recently when the filler at the camping ground in Savannah apparently overfilled our tank. Propane started venting from behind the valve and would not stop. Faced with about 3 gallons of propane venting into a campground at dinner time, we elected to drive off arguing that the gas dissipating at speed was a better deal than incineration when the closest BBQ was lit. This worked out OK. I then went out to my local (Fairfax VA) propane filler. He put a small amount of propane in but it too vented. He advised that the Autostop valve was shot and that Autostop had been out of business for 6 years, so good luck with a replacement. Oh, and it was illegal not to have a valve like the Autostop. If there are fire 'problems' with propane, the first thing insurance cos. do is send out a propane 'expert'. I knew that complete tanks were available @$250, but ouch. Stopped into the local RV dealer and voila they had a whole lot of complete old unused tanks with Autostop valves, $100 ea. I bought one and swapped out the valves. They have different part numbers, and the old one is brass/bronze and the new one appears to be aluminium. Apart from that they are identical. I will fill the tank on Saturday and see how it goes. I checked the old valve and could not see what the problem might be. You may wish to try RV shops around your area. Fairfax is a haul. cheers Geoff Thomas Arlington, VA '88Westy 223,000 miles and going strong

-----Original Message----- From: BajaLeo [mailto:bajaleo@COX.NET] Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 12:16 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Propane tank fill valve leak

Hello List,

Anybody figured out how to fix a leaky autostop fill valve without buying a whole new tank? My local Suburban propane dealer said they can't be repaired. It looks as if the autostop valve could be replaced with a standard valve and a bleeder valve could be added to where the curved tube goes into the tank. Anybody done anything like this? _____________________ Leo Lipert San Juan Capistrano, CA '84 Wolfsburg Westy '00 Golf