Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Apr 2002 14:14:46 -0700
From:         Steve Johnson <stevej@WB32TV.COM>
Subject:      Re: opening rear hatch from inside van
Comments: To: Josh Saylor <wolfburger@ATTBI.COM>

I was also about to begin work on this modification as I now have a screen on the rear hatch of my Carat.

Please send me any suggestions or post them to the list. Thanks.

On a side note I had what amounts to nothing short of a miracle occur last night. I managed to fix my cruise control without spending a cent. The story goes like this: On Tuesday night after I got home from work I checked all the fuses. No problem, all were good. I then tore out the instrument cluster and made sure the wires were connected to the speedometer. They were, so I put it all back together. Instruments all worked so I quit because it was dark. On Wednesday I thought I would take a look at the brake switch. I pulled the steering cowling and removed the brake switch. I took it into the house and tested it. The electrical part worked: on when depressed, off when not depressed. The vacuum part also worked: sealed when depressed, open when not depressed. Oh well, I thought it must be some of those expensive parts like the computer or the vacuum pump. So, I went out and put the switch back in. I thought maybe I should test it in place so I hooked up the multimeter and found that it was difficult to get the switch to stay closed (on) if at all. SO I attached an approx. 3mm thick piece of rubber to the clip on the brake pedal. I didn't for a minute think this would solve the problem. I just thought I had eliminated some obvious causes before going after the big fish. Well, I couldn't believe it. IT NOW Works.

I was preparing myself to shell out some big bucks to get this fixed. I was amazed that the vacuum pump and computer etc. were all still working fine after all this time.

I really needed this as I'm going on a 4000 mile trip in 2 months. I have previous knee and back injuries and having cruise control is an absolute necessity for me to enjoy this trip. It's not a luxury when your right hip hurts so much after a day of driving that you can't even sleep or enjoy the spacious comfort of the extra wide super plush velour weekender bed.

Thanks for listening patiently as I think I'm still high off the endorphins released when I realized it was working.

Steve Johnson ' 91 Carat

-----Original Message----- From: Josh Saylor [SMTP:wolfburger@ATTBI.COM] Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2002 11:41 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: opening rear hatch from inside van

Hey all!

I'm looking to hook up a strap that opens up the rear hatch from the inside. I think that someone posted a photo and description a few weeks ago. Any suggestions?

Josh '89 Wolfsburg