Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Apr 2002 09:37:49 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Comparison of Pop-top seals requested

> Marshall, I used the ones from the Bus Depot. Easy to > install, very good quality, will not rust, no glue needed except for the front > edge seal of the poptop.

We now have a new front edge seal design that has a built-in metal clip just like the poptop seal and luggage rack seal. So the entire kit can now be installed without any adhesive. As with our other seals, this is excusively available from the Bus Depot. At best, the other vendors have a similar seal that does need to be glued in. At worst, some simply provide an extra length of poptop seal to use along the front edge of the poptop (as another listmember discovered when he bought a kit elsewhere). This saves the vendor a lot of money but is completely incorrect for the application.

> The seal for the luggage rack does not have the > rubber attached as the one for the poptop. This may > or may not present a problem. The seal is left out so > that water can escape from the luggage rack. However, the > leading edge may vibrate under certain driving and wind > conditions. What I did to solve this was to cut a piece of the > rubber tubing from an old pop to seal the length of the width > of the leading edge of the luggage rack and > stuff it between the new seal and the roof. Vibration cured.

As Frank noted, the lack of an insulation bulb on the luggage rack seal is intentional, as it allows proper rainwater drainage and is close to the original VW design. Less than 2% of our customers have a problem with wind noise with such a seal. I believe that in those cases, the luggage rack has come just slightly loose over time causing a bit of a larger gap there than originally existed. Most of the time, repositioning the seal just slightly cures this (or tightening down on the rack). Otherwise we do have a "bulbed" version of the seal available, although I don't really recommend this solution unless you do have a wind noise issue because it impedes rainwater drainage. Besides, some people have reported that the bulbed seal actually _increases_ wind noise, so even when the situation occurs (which, as I said is rare), using a bulbed seal is not always a solution anyway. While a non-bulbed seal can be installed with the luggage rack fully in place, a bulbed one requires loosening or removing the rack. (I suspect that in some cases, among people who reported no wind noise with a bulbed seal, the fact that they loosened and retightened the rack to install it was what stopped the noise; had they done the same with the non-bulbed seal the same improvement would have occurred.

Our poptop seals are different from, and superior to, all others on the market. They are not off the shelf generic weatherstrip but are specifically designed for Westfalia campers. The bulb on the poptop seal is correctly placed, same as the VW seal, for proper sealing, and the finish is closer to original than any other seal. The front seal is correctly shaped and does not need adhesive. The luggage rack seal will not impede rainwater drainage. Bottom line is, you can't get a better product, or even a comparable one, anywhere else at any price. Period.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. (215) 234-VWVW www.busdepot.com

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by Part # 1-866-BUS-DEPOT