Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Apr 2002 09:45:39 -0500
From:         Jon Joyce <okartguy@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Horrific engine noise after sitting... then quiet.

I fired my van up last night after letting it sit in the garage for nearly two weeks. It started immediately, but made the absolute worst lifter noise I've ever heard in my life. It sounded like the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse were galloping around the back of my van. I got out and listened, and the noise was emanating equally from both sides of the motor. The motor seemed to be running smoothly, however, so I eased it around the block to see if the noise would subside. It did not. Sure got some stares from my neighbors, though! I disgustedly pulled back in the driveway, shut it off and spent an hour or so mowing the front yard. After putting the mower away, I started the van again to pull it back in the garage. Surprise! It was quiet again. Took it for another spin; it ran "like butter" the whole time, and was dead quiet. I started it again this morning after letting it sit overnight and it made no noise at all. What the hell is going on here? Should I start the thing every couple of days to keep this from happening again? Did I hurt anything by running it while it was noisy?

JJ