Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Apr 2002 10:18:30 -0700
From:         DaveC <voicebox@DNAI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon crash safety

>http://www.vw-bus-land.de/ go to VW-Bus Berichte and then to > >Transporter im Crashtest Sondertruck aus ADAC Motorwelt hier als PDF-File ( >1,6 MB )

Some translations via http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr:

Vanagon photo caption: " No violations [of] the passenger space Volkswagens? Transporters deformed only slightly. The dummy sat also after the Crash loosely in the seat. Neither the torso nor the legs were gotten caught, the knee impact were harmless. The steering column straightened up, however hardly penetrated into the interior. "

Some text from the article: In case of emergency the salvage of the driver from that-destroyed cab would have cost valuable time. With 5 Japanese the left door wedged and had to be broken open. With the Lite Ace she jumped up automatically, but the right was blocked. And the driver to release, was necessary with the Lite Ace and with the Nissan Urvan, a hydraulic spreader.

The only test users [test vehicle?] which offered its passenger the same protection as a passenger car was the VW transporter. The photo on the right shows why: a further cross beam underneath the headlights [not in the picture] and side member in the doors. They complete the safety cell, which is [has been] built in such a way since 1979.

The VW was also the only car, with which a repair was worthwhile itself. It would have cost 14000 DM [German Marks]. All other vehicles had to be deducted than [as a] total loss. The [other vehicles'] deformations were partially enough into the rear frame area [bent frame].

Were test-dare after not even loaded [The tests were conducted with empty vehicles]. During full additional load its weight would have doubled itself, and the destruction would have been still [even more?] devastating.

Closing paragraph: The Japanese transporters and minibuses are a few thousands more cheaply [cheaper] than the VW. Talk nonsense avowedly not [Nonsense aside,] the difference it are [is] not because of the cash and it will not for a long time last, until the Japanese with new auto come more surely, but still more cheaply. [My best guess: Even though Japanese vans are thousands cheaper than the VW, surely they're not better. Japanese will continue coming to the table with still cheaper offerings, but not better.]

Foot note, P. 5: " Note that Volkswagenwerk AG: The high safety standard of the Volkswagens transporters and penalty is the result for many years drivingtries [tests] more intensively and the consistent application of these results. This has - like each performance - its price. Also Volkswagen will not leave the time unused to hold and remove this safety projection/lead further. "

As Ben McC. said: >As a German speaker, I read through this, and it is clearly an advertisement >for VW. They enlisted ADAC to back them up (ADAC is similar to AAA in the >US), but there's definitely money changing hands. While the results do >carry some weight, I'd take it with a grain of salt.

So, indeed, read it with this in mind.

Dave -- Dave Carpenter

Whatever you wish for me, May you have twice as much.

"Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not. In either case the idea is quite staggering." -- Arthur C. Clarke