Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Apr 2002 11:11:11 -0700
From:         gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Leaky electric heads on vanagons?   Stay grounded

Caught this article in our SJMercury News Still another reason to check those ground. gary

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/classifieds/automotive/3049637.htm I have a 1993 Chevy Lumina sedan. The heater core started leaking in December 1997 and was replaced by the dealer for $271. The leak returned in January 1999 and was replaced by the dealer at no charge. The leak returned again in May 2001. The dealer stated there was some foaming in the coolant and estimated $525 parts and $960 labor to repair it. They basically wanted to replace all hoses, radiator, belts, etc. This seemed like, ``We don't know what's the problem, so let's replace everything and see what happens.'' I refused and had just the core replaced on May 21, 2001, costing $460.

The leak has returned again. Do you have any recommendation on how to determine the real problem and solution?

Ron Taylor

A I hope others will be OK with me jumping this letter to the top of the to-do list, as you have certainly had a rough time with the Lumina's heater.

Corrosion and erosion within an aluminum heater core or radiator can be a serious problem if the cooling system isn't serviced regularly, or seemingly harmless electrical faults are occurring. I checked with Pat O'Conner of Buffalo, N.Y.-based Fedco Automotive Components, a leading manufacturer of heater cores, and learned that coolant acidity, contamination and electrolysis can cause repeat heater core failures, in some cases more frequently than yours.

Many repair shops and car owners simply renew a leaking heater core without giving much thought to coolant condition, as long as the color looks good. As coolant ages, its protective qualities diminish, allowing acidity to increase and abrasive particles to form and circulate. When the coolant's PH level changes excessively, aluminum components such as radiators, heater cores, timing gear covers, and even cylinder heads can fall victim to attack.

The radiator and heater core, with their thin walls, are often the first to fail. Erosion of these same parts also can occur as a result of coolant contamination. Foundry casting sand, gasket material, silicate drop-out and other debris can wear away the walls of a heater core or radiator, especially if the flow restricter has been inadvertently removed.

Electrolysis is the most likely cause of your Lumina's repeat failures, as a poorly grounded electrical accessory can cause current to flow through the coolant. This causes aluminum parts to oxidize, and can lead to rapid perforation of the radiator or heater core.

While a typical iron/aluminum engine may see .1 volt (measured by immersing a voltmeter probe in the radiator neck, the other to ground with the engine and all accessories functioning) due to galvanic action, higher voltage (.3 volt or more) can cause serious damage. GM service bulletin 73-62-13 and AC Delco Tech-Connect volume 2, issue 6, both contain important information on the effects of electrolysis and how to rectify it.

Besides checking for and correcting an elevated coolant voltage level, one of the most important corrective steps is to thoroughly flush the cooling system (or drain/refill/run/drain three times) and fill with a 50 percent to 65 percent coolant/water mixture. My hope is that your unfortunate situation will inspire others (including myself) to service their cooling systems more regularly.