Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 13 Apr 2002 07:33:49 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@UVIC.CA>
Subject:      Re: Big Alternators - take 2

slipped on the keyboard - sent partial message!

What I meant to say in the garbled message was that the work done will be the same whether you use on or two alternators.

Maybe David means that if your van's electrical system is drawing close to 110 amps then splitting the job between two (close to 55 amps each) is less "stressful" on each alternator.

I can see an advantage to having 2 alternators (do they have to be matched? I don't think so) where one is dedicated to the house battery and the other to the starting battery. That way the charging/output characteristics of each alternator can be matched to the battery served.

Mind you, you can get a honking big (externally regulated too) alternator that would supply all the electrons a vanagon owner could possibly need (mmm, I sound a bit like B. Gates musing over the need for more than 604kb of RAM), and they look like they are not much bigger than a 90A unit. Then you won't have the problem of mounting 2 alternators (maybe easy, maybe not).

Alistair

-- '82 Westy -> diesel converted to gas in '94 albell@uvic.ca http://homepage.mac.com/alistairbell/home/