Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 13 Apr 2002 14:42:33 -0700
From:         Graham Freeman <graham@CALTEG.ORG>
Subject:      Re: '85 Vanagon fails smog - diagnosis help requested

On Sat, 13 Apr 2002, Dennis Haynes wrote:

> With readings that high, the catalyst is not your only problem. The cat > is a clean up device, not gross pollution prevention device. You don't > state what the CO (carbon monoxide) reading is. This would be very > helpful to help with a diagnosis. You need to check for the following;

The C02 readings are:

idle (978rpm): 9.38 2500rpm (2636rpm): 11.52

02 readings:

idle (978rpm): 7.5 2500rpm (2636rpm): 4.1

C0 readings:

idle (978rpm): 0.35 2500rpm (2636rpm): 0.82

> 1) Engine condition. Good compression. Intake and exhaust valves sealing > properly. Leak down test would be best indicator. > 2) Ignition, make sure there is no intermittent miss fire. Have shop > test with a scope if needed. > 3) Vacuum leaks, bad injectors. Either condition can cause 1 cylinder to > miss fire, (lean-miss). This will cause high HC.

I'll have these three looked at.

> 4) Fuel mixture, what is the CO reading? Should be between .2 and 1.0%, > before or without the CAT. > 5) Basic engine settings. Make sure the timing is set to spec. Over > advancing the timing can cause high CO readings, particularly at idle.

It looks like these two are no an issue, correct?

> You need to get that HC reading down to at least 1/2 of what you have > before replacing the Cat. Otherwise you will burn up the new one. > > Good luck, > Dennis

So, it sounds like I'll definitely need a new cat, but not until the other work is done first...?

Good info. Thanks!

-Graham