Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Apr 2002 01:39:33 -0400
From:         Ben huot <huotx@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: Frusterated Vanagon owner
Comments: To: Locke Johnston <ljohnston@FROGCOMMISSARY.COM>

You know what they say; a car will fall apart at a certain mileage!!! This is the time when you have to change most parts on it!!! Now it's your time…bad timing.

Seriously, I will resume what I think of the van in a few sentences… I love the Westfalia, but I am not sure that I love the Vanagon…(or any new VW)

I don't think I would buy a simple 7-seat vanagon, there is plenty of good mini van out there. A lot more reliable than any VW product.

Here is a comparison, I have an 88 Civic CRX (2 seat) and it as 380K km (236k miles). She barely takes 1 quart of oil for 3000miles, no strange noise, no cooling problem and no worry… It's my winter car, very very rusty, never did anything on the engine (except normal stuff), no head gasket change, no worry about the very well design & simple fuel injection system and so on. Rust will get the car before the engine.

So you want to own a VW van or westy, get a Bentley and start-loving mechanic because you will needed sooner or later…

Don't get me wrong, I love my westy and will probably keep it for a long time but it's not the best reliable car in the world. But the camper is the best damn design I have ever seen. Finally, I would not recommend this van to everyone; you need to be a tender loving owner who loves to play on it.

Lol, its not that bad, you just not very lucky… Ben http://www3.sympatico.ca/huotx/engine1.htm