Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Apr 2002 01:50:30 -0400
From:         Stephen Steele <steeles@HORIZONVIEW.NET>
Subject:      Franz The '87 Westy Lives and Breathes!!!

This is RE: Help: Heads rebuild: No Compression The subject line says it all!!! Thank God!! Many thanks also to all of you Listees who responded to my posts of engine woes and resultant pleadings; despite others' dislikes of my signature*.

The Westy had the left side lifters over pressurized. Tonight, on my first day of vacation, I jury rigged clamps and presses to push the lifters in situ (without re-pulling the heads) and backed off the rocker arm adjustments to allow for the tight lifters. IT started RIGHT UP!!

Tomorrow, I'll drive it around town a little (ten mile or so) and put it back on the lift to recheck all the rocker arms and lifters; and reset them.

Specifically, at the risk of impugning your private e-mail comments, I want to publicly THANK YOU and comment on your various inputs:

Will/Larry Calhoun (which is it?) > It sounds like your lifters are pumped up on the cylinders with the poor > compression,and are allowing the valves to stay open on the compression > stroke, thus no compression. I have found that adjusting the 2 recommended > turns as VW says is too much if your lifters are already pumped up. VW's > adjustment may work on new lifters that are not fully pumped up. Yours was the most relevant advise, IMHO; and most germane to my situation.

Ken Lewis... > The first thing I would do is make sure all the pushrods are > centered in the lifter. Very easy to get it hung on the lip. Sight down > the tube with a flashlight. Beyond the problem of over pressurized lifters, this advise is very appropriate for anyone doing/redoing heads. A small penlight (Maglight) really works best to "put light on the subject"; a shoplight and/or full size flashlight proved useless in sighting down the rods.

Karl Wolz (my Pal)... > Have you cranked the engine, or at least turned it by hand to watch the > action of the valves in question? I'd suspect that they're adjusted against > something other than the lifters. Back off the rockers and make sure that > the rods are all centered in the depressions of the lifters; kind of a PITA. > You need to spin the rods a bit and they'll fall into the correct place. Yes, Pal, I did watch the valves move and spun them by hand for several revs and it helped.

Jay Snyder... > I suggest you also read Boston Bob's article on hydraulic lifters! The > valves are clearly out of adjustment and hanging open. Read the article. > Back the adjusters out--2 turns will not work. I DID already read Boston Bob's article. But, at your insistence; I reread it.

John , jfp, .... > As an aside, NEVER EVER perform major repairs and then leave immediately on > a 3,000 mile trip! It's a recipe for real Wasserboxer disappointment! After > the high level of invasive repairs you've performed, this Vanagon should be > operated locally, like intensive care after major surgery. After 600 miles > of trouble-free operation, change the oil, check for leaks and loose > components and then hit the road!

I will take your advise in moderation. I will not attempt the 3K mile trip West before I do a few days locally and then a longer trip followed by visit to the lift for a complete going over.

Your comparison to surgery is well put...But... have you noticed how the current trend of getting post-op patients on their feet is impacting major surgery outcomes? I do plan on WALKING Franz before he RUNS.

Once again, the list comes through and I am very grateful to be a member of it.

THANKS AGAIN! -- Stephen Steele* Chillicothe OH '91 Caravelle "Hans" '87 Westy "Franz" '84 Westfalia "Fritz" now with my nephew '81 Diesel Rabbit "Ol' Yeller" by PO '82 Caddy VW Diesel P.U. '90 Jetta GL 17 yo Sons' "together" car '74 MGB My first car...yep, I've kept it since '74 '93 Chevy S-10 *all rights reserved/no portion of this document may be reproduced w/o prior written permission