Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Apr 2002 00:11:07 -0700
From:         Craig Oda - Personal email <craigoda@COMMUNITYBUILDERS.INFO>
Subject:      mystery parts again

My 83 water-cooled Westy has a rough idle when cold. Thinking that this might be related to the air-intake system, I'm trying to track down black rubber tubing in the engine bay. This van is used, and the PO disconnected quite a few parts. Can someone help me find out what these parts do by looking at the URL below?

http://communitybuilders.dhs.org/craigoda/vw/tinker/

has pictures of different views of three parts that are connected by a black air-hose of perhaps 5/8" in diameter.

1) in the lower-left hand corner next to the white coolant tank there is a black roundish plastic box about the size of a quart oil can. One end of the black rubber tube snakes around to white plastic "T" that has two of the ends open. What does this black plastic box do?

2) plastic "T" that should obviously should connect the black rubber tubing to something. What?

3) flat metal piece with a piece of ball-chain on one side and the rubber tubing on the other. Maybe the ball-chain is a stopper?

After reading this list, I think that the van has vacuum leaks and that the black rubber tubing should be connected. Can someone help me to figure out where the tubing connects to?

The van takes about 3 minutes to warm up, then it runs fine, even at 85mph for hours. So, this is not so much of a problem. However, I'm curious to solve this puzzle.

Thanks.

-- Craig -- Craig Oda craigoda@communitybuilders.info VW Info: 1983 VW Westfalia, water-cooled, automatic http://communitybuilders.dhs.org/craigoda/vw/