Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Apr 2002 19:43:48 -0700
From:         il cikaspers <cikasper@MAIL.CRUZIO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Liability for installing incorrect tires

>My blown tire may have been a blessing in disguise. > >Although Winston Tires has said they will replace the inappropriate tires >they installed with new ones I want to be prepared if they do not follow >through with their verbal promise. > >Are there any attorneys on this list who can email me a statement about >liability for installing the wrong tires on a vanagon? I know that a >reputable facility will not install inappropriate tires even if a customer >asks for them. > >Fortunately my blown tire happened in a parking lot. I shudder to think of >what might have happened at 70 MPH in a remote place or on a busy freeway.

and yet.

this thread disturbs me from you, william. if you look back to earlier this year, when you asked about the tires the dpo put on your van:

http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0202D&L=vanagon&P=R18270 starting the thread

you were warned about the potential consequences of leaving them on your van...very explicitly.

and now it appears you are looking to work over winston tires with an attorney because you, knowing they were inappropriate for your van, chose to keep what the dpo had put on to save some money?

you've always seemed to put forth that you were coming from a place of integrity in your dealings. this one doesn't quite square up. perhaps i am misunderstanding what is your intent? or did i miss that you put *different* tires on the van than the "Michelin X One P205/70R14 93T M + S" put on by the dpo?

i am glad for you that winston has offered a verbal promise to replace the tires. either way, knowing what you knew about the tires, you got off cheaply. your experience is a good lesson to everyone who has inappropritae tires on their vans...change them for the correct ones and be safe, regardless of having to spend the money. it's a question of "pay me now, or pay me later", i think, where the "me" is the ubermensch rather than the fram filter guy.

best, bill kasper '87 syncro westfalia santa cruz, ca