Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Apr 2002 22:36:37 -0700
From:         mike <mwmiller@CWNET.COM>
Subject:      Mt. Diablo report, long, boring, no drugs or alcohol

Volks,

I am waffling over whether to file this report now or wait until the 'drugs' and 'adult beverages' wear off a bit. Then I figured I'd just start up with them again tonight so...on with the show.

It was a dark and stormy night and...,no wait it was about 11 AM on a beautiful clear day. Sorry got a little confused for a bit there.

Anyway, it was a beautiful day. I arrived Saturday morning instead of Friday night because my van is still waiting for parts to reinstall the engine. [That's the last of that whining, I promise, at least for this post]

I had passed Melissa the M on the way out of Sacramento and had time to completely set up my camp before she got to the camp site. Probably because the rangers told her to go to the wrong campsite. So the first order of business was to drive back down to the gate and get them straightened out.

After that she and I admired her van and told lies until Dan White showed up with his two charming little girls. Ellie showed us jumping and Gracie ate rocks. Before he showed up we had two groups of travelers stop and share our spot, so for a time there were 4 and 5 vehicles there, one a van.

After Dan left for family obligations MM and I went on up to the top of Mt. Diablo. Left a note on her van with our intentions. Neat view and nice little exhibits. Saw a syncro as it was driving out to go down, oh well.

Came back down to find the syncro, and pensioner, ensconced in the camp site. We admired his van for a while, looked at birds and flowers, and told lies. Now there were three people, two vans, and a H*nd*. Getting crowded so we closed the entry gate. So I apologize to all who drove all the way up there and were denied entry. Had you been a bit earlier you might have made the A list.

Then the chili cook off began. They cooked and I looked at my can of chili. After they set me up with everything I needed to eat we had chili, salad, more chili, more salad, etc. Nummy, all of it. Al took pictures of vans, sunsets and other assorted stuff before, during and after this. There was an elaborate awards ceremony, star studded event it was, and the winners graciously thanked everyone present for their support and love. I was moved. The evening began to wind down about then, so Big Al took off for a star party being held by the park rangers at the summit. His report was, and I quote,'There was a lot of expensive equipment up there'. We were overwhelmed.

[Of course copious drugs and other stuff like that were always on hand but I haven't mentioned this because I knew everyone would understand and just assume much abuse of various laws.]

The views were incredible, all of them. The company suave, rich, intelligent, good looking. Hard to believe that there was that much talent in one place at one time.

If more occurs to me I'll pass it on but right now I'm just treasuring the memories.

Mike