Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Apr 2002 21:24:36 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <jhrodgers@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: Idle speed, racing engine
Comments: To: gritis@ATTGLOBAL.NET

Karen Gritis wrote:

> > > I wouldn't know what to do if it started the uncontrolled > revving again on the way to the shop. > > Does anybody have any idea what's going on with my vanagon? >

Karen, what you experienced can be frightening to the un-initiated.

You didn't mention what year your van is, but here is the scenario on my 88 GL with the 2.1L WBX engine. I know at least all the 86 and later vans are this way.

There is an idle stabilizer control (ISC) and an idle stabilizer valve (ISV) for the engine. When the engine is cold, the ISV which is located right on top of the engine, operates to prevent the engine from stalling. Once the engine is warm, the electronic brain called the ECU, located under the back seat ( it a boxy looking thing), senses the warm engine via a temperature sensor and cuts the ISV out of the circuit. From that point on the ISV doesn't do much except sit there. However, there are a couple of conditions under which the ISV in conjunction with the ISC (which is located in the right rear of the van, inside the body, behind the right hand tail light fixture) work to gether to keep the engine idling under a load.

1) Cold engine - ISV/ISC keep the engine idling until warmed up. 2) Air conditioner on - When the AC is on, two things happen. (a) the radiator cooling fan will come on and stay on as long as the AC is turned on. (b) The AC connection to the circuit will cause the ISV & ISC to kick the engine idle up to accomodate the added load caused by running the AC.

I have seen so called mechanic's mystified by this arrangement. The first place one has to start to get this system adjusted properly ... assuming engine timeing and a number of similar things are within operating parameters, is to get the idle speed properly adjusted. Some people don't understand about the ISV, try to adjust the idle set screw, and get things all screwed up. The the engine doesn't idle correctly for sure.

The engine should be cold. Start it, and feel the ISV. There should be at least the slightest vibration. Stonger is OK. None is suspect.

Allow the engine to warm thoroughly. Then turn off the ignition. , Disconnect the connector on the end of the ISV. That disengages it from the ECU circuit. Start the engine. Should idle about 900 rpm.

On the throttle body is a large flat slot-headed screw that is the set screw for idle. Adjust right or left to raise or lower the rpm. Should idle around 900 rpm. If not, adjust accordingly. Once set, turn the engine off, reconnect the ISV and restart the engine. The idle speed when warm should be about 900 to 950 fro smooth idle.

Now turn on the AC. If all is well, the ISV/ISC circuit will kick the idle up to 1200- 1300 rpm to support the added load of the air conditioner..

Thats about it. If that doesn't do the job, you have another problem somewhere that will require more exhaustive tests and trouble shooting.

Good luck.

John Rodgers 88 GL driver