Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Apr 2002 21:30:35 -0700
From:         Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject:      Re: Front blower fix: Free and permanent (long)
Comments: To: Bob Whitby <rpwhitby@MINDSPRING.COM>

If you're gonna have only one tool in your toolbox, it should be a pair of Vice Grips brand pliers. The plastic tabs can be clamped down on and twisted off quite easily. Also the Vice Grips are good for clamping down on the shear bolts, which (this was discussed at length on-list a year or so ago) you can replace with good old everyday bolts of the appropriate size.

Karl Wolz

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob Whitby" <rpwhitby@MINDSPRING.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 7:03 PM Subject: Front blower fix: Free and permanent (long)

Hola Vanagoneers: At the risk of getting off the enlightening topic of Mexicans and insurance, I'd like to report my findings vis-a-vis my front blower, and also make public a modification that I hope will extend the life of my front blower well into the millenium.

First the symptoms: Turned on blower, it made a horrible scraping noise, then stopped. The fuse popped shortly thereafter, as did two more. I went directly to the archives where I learned that I was in for THE DREADED FRONT BLOWER REMOVAL EXPEDITION wherein hapless Vanagon owners disassemble the entire dashboard to get to this crappy little DC motor about the size of a baby's head. I bravely dove in to the job and am here to report that it just ain't as bad as most make it out to be. Laborious, yes. And damn but the van do look ugly when all is said and done. Not for the faint of heart. But I had no problems, other than a shear bolt that refused to budge from the steering column. I tried JB welding a nut to the shear bolt, but that didn't hold. Finally I drilled it and used a screw extractor. The metal is very soft and it came out, but it is of course ruined. (Anyone got a spare?)

Once you get the blower box out, however, you're only about half way home. The blower is sealed in the box like it was the freakin' arc of the covenant. What exactly is the point of heat welding this thing together? Is the air pressure so great it would blow apart if not for this ridiculous sealing method? I ended up sawing the heat-welded tabs off with a hacksaw blade and it still took me an hour and a half to get the thing apart. Overkill? Planned obsolesence? You be the judge.

Once I got the blower out I immediately noticed it was hard to turn by hand. Bingo. A lot of WD-40 and a little persuasion later and the thing was spinning like a hippy at a Phish show. I hooked it up to the battery in the Ghia and it purred on all three speeds. I have a little experience with this sort of thing. I rescued and kept alive a H*nda alternator for 20,000 plus miles just by shooting it full of WD-40, and to this day I kept a can in my C*vic to squirt in the distributor every now and then. H*ndas have a nasty habit of eating their distributors, so every time I hear the death squeal I pull over, pop cap and hit it with a generous squirt. Good for another 5k miles or so.

So I lubed up the old fan motor, then had six or seven beers (congratulating myself for all the money I saved) and got to thinking: If there was a way to squirt the old blower motor now and then with some WD-40 it just might last forever.

So I went to the hardware store and got 3 feet of very small pvc hose, the clear kind used for fish tanks and such. I drilled a hole just large enough for the hose in the driver's side windshield vent on the top of the air box. Passed the hose through that, then drilled another small hole in the housing right above the blower motor. I carefully positioned the end of the tube right where I wanted the juice to flow then taped it to the motor. (God bless duct tape.) Run the pvc hose through the holes and eventually it will come out of the air vent on the dashboard. Yeah so it will look like an IV hookup on a chemo patient. Big deal. My fan motor will be loose and yours won't.

Now every once and awhile, say when I change the oil, I'll give the motor a squirt. Blow through the hose and I can "aerate" the lubricant. Little particles all over the place. Look it up in your physics book.

So I figure I save $700 or so by not paying someone else to take apart the dash, and not buying a new motor from Bus Depot ($100 -- I thought someone said these motors were cheap).

All in all I'd say that's worth five hours of work.

Bob W. 87 Westy