Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Apr 2002 09:02:53 -0400
From:         80 Westy Pokey <pokey@VANAGON.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Review of Agilis 51 205/65-15
Comments: To: Christopher Berchin <ctb1@PEOPLEPC.COM>

Great review thanks Chris! Yesterday I put 215/65-15 Agilis 51s on the rear (I am still looking for hardware for the front - so the van looks a little funny). I have a few questions if anyone knows:

1) What pressure are you running front and rear in the Agilis 51s for a westy?

2) Anyone know of front and rear wheel locks to protect my investment?

3) Anyone shoehorn these babies into thier front spare tire holder?

4) Chris why did you pick the 205s over the 215s?

Thanks, Chris

---- Original message ---- >Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 21:54:20 -0400 >From: Christopher Berchin <ctb1@PEOPLEPC.COM> >Subject: Review of Agilis 51 205/65-15 >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > >Yes, another tire review, but what the heck. I thought I'd chime in. > >I just installed 205/65-15 Michelin Agilis 51's on my bus with SA Sunburst >wheels. Previously, the van had 195/70-14 car tires on steel wheels. I >won't mention the brand since they aren't at fault for their non-suitability >for the Vanagon. These tires came with my van when I bought it, and I >finally changed them. > >The van is like night and day with the new tires. Previously, I had lots of >impact harshness on every bump (and here in D-town, that's a lot). Loud >noise, and a lot of the impact went right to you sitting in the van. It >banged away quite a lot, which could get old. The Agilis are far quieter >and have far less impact harshness. It feels like the suspension was dipped >in rubber. I can't believe it's the same van. This alone has given me a >much quieter interior. > >Steering deadband is a bit narrower (in other words, there's less play in >the steering before something happens), but this isn't a very large change. >I actually expected slightly more change here. However, crosswind stability >has gone WAY up, if my test drive last night was any indication. I was >driving along the interstate at about 75 mph, and I could see the wind. All >the plants next to the road were bent over, and the flags were straight out. >However, the van just didn't care. Stable as all get-out. One really big >gust hit and the van twitched a bit, but not much at all. I was amazed - >with the other tires, I would have been all over the place. Another case >where I couldn't believe it was the same van. Note also that I do not have >my front sway bar connected - the end link broke, and I've been waiting to >put these tires on before I decide which size front bar to put back on the >van (I have both the 19mm and 21mm factory bars). I imagine the van may get >even a little bit more stable with the bar connected. > >Handling: Compared to the car tires, the van is more neutral - less >understeer. Less to the point where I want a front bar back on it. With >the car tires, it was nearly dead neutral without the front bar, but with >some ugly lean angles. My van isn't unstable right now, but it is *just* >that little bit too close to oversteer for my liking during initial turn-in. >However, the grip of these Agilis is WAY better than the previous tires. I >railed around one of my favorite test on-ramps at much greater speed than I >ever could have before. I was having quite a lot of fun, pretending I was >driving a really big Porsche 912. :) > >The only downside is that I'm now back to OEM tire diameter, so my van got a >bit slower. The smaller diameter of the other tires gave me shorter >gearing, and it accelerated a bit better and had slightly more top end. >However, I will pay that price for the vast superiority of the Agilis in >every other respect. And they look great, too. > >Bottom line - I'll pay whatever it takes to get more of these once they wear >out. My van is totally transformed with them. Very impressive. I >purchased mine from Military Tires >(http://www.militarytiresales.com/main.asp?page=home) in the fall - they >were a bargain back then, as MT has since rasied the price. However, as I >said, I will pay what it takes to get more of these when the time comes. >Hopefully I will remain as pleased with them as I drive more miles on them. >This weekend will tell the tale, as I am road tripping in the van. We shall >see... > >Chris >'84 GL >The Race Bus