Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Apr 2002 12:06:10 -0700
From:         John Tullier <elefntkpr@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      The continuing adventures of The Vanagon Retrofit

Greetings List,

This post is not one of query per se, but of fact. After having been told to shut up from numerous “non-Vanagon” owners, I decided I would come to the list where I might reveal freely in my vehicular successes.

Today I have removed the transmission and drive train. I must now decide whether to simply sew her up and fill out an autopsy report…or continue giving CPR. Upon removing the tranny, I was relieved to see that “Murphy’s Law” remains is applicable to German engineering…thank God for consistency. It appears, and you may want to sit down for this one, that my transmission suffers from several unsolicited fluid leaks. I also discovered, after a good cleaning that this mechanism is half the size I originally thought it to be. However, these layers of dirt have aided in both confirming the age of the bus, and minimizing rust.

The resulting void now affords me an unabated view of what will no doubt be five to six months of sanding, wire brushing and priming. Yet surprisingly, the damage isn’t as bad as I had suspected. My next steps are to check the service lines and wires connecting the front and rear of the bus. Petrol lines will most likely require replacement, but I’m not certain about the wiring.

This brings me to a few questions, which I would like to sneak in. First off, are the auxiliary or over-flow petrol tanks necessary? For the life of me, I have never seen such a system employed in any vehicle I have rebuilt or repaired. Secondly, I seem to have NO wires either attached or available for my petrol gauge. The rear of the gauge offers two threaded prongs. Is this all that should be there? Or is there something else, which connects to the prongs…IE: resistors, capacitors, etc. I’ll be dropping the petrol tank soon so that I can run fresh wires from the sending unit, but I wanted to make certain that I did not require more parts. Driving without this gauge functional is far from pleasurable, especially since my trip meter and odometer or broken. And lastly, does anyone know how rigid the roofs of these vans are? I want to install a roof rack eventually, but some parts of the roof seem flimsy. I only wish to carry items up there such as, canoes, snowboards, skies and bicycles. Any ideas?

Many thanks for any input. Sarcasm always welcome!

John Tullier 1980 Vanagon L http://hometown.aol.com/elefntkpr/Vanagon/vanagon.html