Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Apr 2002 12:39:36 -0500
From:         Dave Baker <DBAKER5@KC.RR.COM>
Subject:      Re: Weekender cooking
Comments: To: Debra Clark <clark10006@COX.NET>

I built a cabinet that fits behind the passenger's seat, bolted to the battery compartment with wing nuts so it can be removed. A 12VDC cooler sits in the bottom and I have a small "Wash 'n' Go" sink in the top with a folding lid that covers it and serves for counter space. On the outboard side is a folding shelf which can be lifted into place when the sliding door is open. I do my cooking here with a single burner propane stove, or, if the weather does not allow it, I can set up the stove on top of the cabinet when the top is raised. (Be sure to crack some windows if you try this at home!)

I also installed a 50 watt solar panel to charge the aux battery. The charger control panel is mounted on the inboard side of the cabinet. If I plan on doing extended dry camping, I can also mount a 400 watt wind turbine, but this is overkill!

All this plus a ham radio, a telescope, and a porta-potty, and what more does one need? :)

Dave in KC 85 Westy Multivan

photos at:

http://members.fortunecity.com/davebaker1/westy/id20.htm

and

http://members.fortunecity.com/davebaker1/westy/id21.htm (scroll halfway down the page)

Film at 11.

----- Original Message ----- From: Debra Clark <clark10006@COX.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, April 15, 2002 12:16 PM Subject: Weekender cooking

We bought a 90 Multivan in January and my family and I are just getting to know it well. But already there have been times I've longed for a Westy stove. On chilly mornings, in need of coffee. I ordered a 12V coffee maker from A.J. Prindle. It was a new model in their catalog and took forever (much longer than the 20-40 minutes that it mentioned in the manual and only then with a lot of jiggling to get it to drip.) and I could have set up the camp stove and percolated a pot in 1/4 of the time. However, I'd still like to start a cup while in the Van. Anyone have the Koolatron model? Is it more reliable?

Don't misunderstand me. I love the Multivan package 99% of the time but it is a trade-off when camping. How about electricity? I've just looped an extention cord out the window when we've had access to it. How do all you 'weekenders' have a more Westy experience?

Debra Clark Santee, California clark10006@cox.net