Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 Apr 2002 16:04:19 -0700
From:         Greg Stelz <gstelz1@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Air Cooled or Water Cooled

Matthew,

I think you might be getting a little carried away glorifying the air cooled engine. Having owned a 79 bus and now an 86 vanagon, I would have to say that neither the WBX, nor the air cooled have exactly stellar track records. I've seen plenty of late 70's busses on the side of the road overheated (While in college I went to quite a few Grateful Dead shows). The busses often overheated in traffic jams prior to the show. Now granted, lots of these folks were probably stoned out of their heads and didn't maintain their vans properly, but there were definitley a lot of V-heads I met on the tour that knew their sh*t. A lot of these folks had auxillery fans rigged up to suck more air to keep these engines running cool. -Longevity of neither of these engines is that great, though the WBX is probably longer if you keep your cooling system in good shape -The WBX has more hp and torque, bottom line -No mods necessary to get good heat with the WBX -the air cooled is easier to work on and much simpler than the WBX cooling system.

Don't get me wrong, I love the aircooled for its simplicity, and hope to get another 2000cc type II eventually.

My $.02, Greg Stelz 86 van to westy conversion

--snip-- Chiefly the air-cooled is distinguished as being more reliable, more powerful (for its weight/displacement), lighter weight, easier to "hot-rod" (if that is your fancy), extensively tested in more than 12 years of service in 6 different vehicles worldwide prior to being used in the Vanagon, able to produce far hotter/faster heat (with some slight modifications), is nearly impossible to overheat, and is cheaper to own/maintain. The "water-cooled", on the other hand stands apart by needing expensive VW-esque coolant to keep itself on the road, by having the longest, most convoluted, and most finicky radiator plumbing system of any vehicle on earth, while also featuring lackluster performance, and a knack for needing obscure components, and voodoo-repairs (JB Weld on the Heads, AFM-capacitor trick) in order to work semi-reliably. It is slightly quieter, and if you like cachet, this motor has it... VW cobbled it together in 1983.5, and threw the motor design in the ash-heap shortly after ceasing import of the Vanagon to the US, seven years later; the shortest production run of any VW motor type. You'll be part of an exclusive clique, if you like that sort of thing.

;-) wink. Can you guess which type I own?

G. Matthew Bulley God-like Creator and Grand Emporer of the VW Heat, Rust, Noise Web Page