Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 Apr 2002 19:13:00 -1000
From:         Daniel Danrich <danrich@CCMAUI.NET>
Subject:      Answer to "No Low Beams"  thanks guys!

I got 2 great answers on my "No Low Beams" THANKS GUYS for all the help!

> I can't get the low or hi beams to stay on. > The only way I can get my lights to work is to hold the bright light > switch > back. > And I can't get the low beams to come on independently now. > I changed out the entire turn signal bright light assembly with no > luck. > What do I do? > Thanks people!

Daniel, The problem that you have can be two items - but normally the first one most of the time. The light system goes through the ignition switch. That's why when you leave the lights on and then turn off the key, only the parking lights stay on, and the headlights go out. I have had this same problem before and it was a fried ignition switch. They are plastic and can and will fail sometime in its life. You can purchase one from Auto Zone for around $21.00. It is a little bit of a pain in the ***T to replace, but do-able. The second one would be the dimmer system lever, but since you can get the bright to come on when you pull it, then that will not be the problem. Or the light switch itself, but most of the time they work pretty well. Here is a quick simple why to trouble shoot it. Purchase a new ignition switch, remove the lower steering column cover, unplug the big wire harness connector on the back side of the ignition switch. Install the new switch on the end of the connector, take a screw driver and turn it like the ignition key would and now try your lights. It will probably work now and it so - time to remove the steering wheel, bearing, column assemble and slide it off the column. Now you can gain access to the switch. One little screw that has to be removed before it will slide out. Hope this helps and a Bentley VW manual will help with the procedure. Take care and good luck. Cliff Gottschalk