Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Apr 2002 07:04:21 -0700
From:         Joel Cort <joel_cort@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Jump seat in Westy -  Pedestal configuration
Comments: To: DaveC <voicebox@DNAI.COM>

DaveC,

The floor brackets can be customized from other material than the official VW welded brackets. I can provide you further specs on what I did if you want more dimension details. I used some large and long anchor nuts with an inside diameter very close to the pin diameter off the bracket footing. I did some easy cutting and grinding. The nuts were on the inside of the cab. I have a Westy and cut the hole in the wood floor with a wood bit down to the metal floor. The foot-hold slips on one side of the nut.

On the other side of the nut I drilled a hole in the floor metal to run a bolt from underneath the van. I was able to tighten those two nuts in place from underneath.

I have a Syncro so the gas tank was not a hinderance for this work. Do be carefull in drilling that the large positive cable running from the batery to the starter is out of the way.

Also the rear seat bracket has to be aligned pretty close to get the right fit. It should all be smooth and easy to clip the seat in and out of the van.

About the hardest part is pulling the battery out of the van to bolt the bracket.

Good luck and let me know if you want more details of my construction.

Joel 89 Syncro Westy - Multivan Rochester NY.

--- DaveC <voicebox@DNAI.COM> wrote: > What's involved in adding the jump seat behind the front passenger > seat (right by the sliding door)? > > Looked in the archives... > > As best I can find, installing one of the single seats means > ripping > brackets from the floor and front seat "pedestal" (back side below > driver's or passenger's seat) of the donor vehicle. > > Welding these in place in the recipient's vehicle. > > Cutting holes in the carpet so said seat can be quickly bolted to > brackets. > > Is this right? > > Thanks, > Dave > -- > Dave Carpenter > > Whatever you wish for me, > May you have twice as much. > > "Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I > think > we're not. In either case the idea is quite staggering." -- Arthur > C. > Clarke