Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Apr 2002 16:20:00 +0000
From:         Mike Finkbiner <mike_l_f@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cough, Choke, Splutter! - Update

A few weeks ago I reported that my '87 Westy was intermittantly running very poorly, no power, etc. The O2 digitool readings were very high, so I disconnected it. That solved the problem temporarily, but it recurred after a couple of days, intermittantly.

Laurence suggested that I try a solution that worked for him, adding an additional ground from pin 19 on the ecu directly to the engine block. That's the pin which connects a ground to the shielding around the O2 signal wire.

I figured it was worth a try, so I got into the wiring harness next to the ECU and found the correct brown wire. On my '87, the main ground for the ecu is a larger brown wire outside the main bundle, while the O2 ground is smaller, and inside the bundle. Apparently in later years, one is brown and the other brown/white, but I would have to check Bently for the details.

Since I did that, the engine has run fine in a bit of driving around town. I took a road trip yesterday, putting on ~ 200 miles with several stops. No problem, and gas mileage back up to 18+.

If I want to be sure, I suppose I should disconnect the engine ground and see if it does happen again, but I would recommend this fix to anyone having similar symptoms.

A question for any of you that have a digitool.

My O2 sensor reading now starts out with a cold engine at ~ .3, then as the engine warms it steadily increases until it reaches about .8. At that point the Temp II reading has gotten down to about .15 and the O2 sensor is apparently hot enough to start working, so it begins to bounce up and down (.0 to.8) like it should.

IIRC, before all this started the cold engine O2 reading would be about .5 and stay there until the engine warmed, but I'm not sure.

I would love to know what sort of readings other people are having!

Thanks

- Mike Finkbiner '87 Westy Moscow, ID

mike_l_f@hotmail.com