Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Apr 2002 20:11:57 EDT
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      On Conversion Engine Reliability

Today, as I was cleaning up some old files from a hard disk that I'm about to retire, I refound a whole set of email correspondence between Alistair Bell and myself on questions I was asking as I completed my diesel to gas conversion. I went further into those archives and found a significant amount of material I had amassed before starting the conversion. I thought it might be interesting to look at the dates. My earliest downloads on the issue of diesel engine mods for more power are in 1986. For nearly two years I accumulated material on turbocharging the stock Vanagon diesel. In late 1988 I started accumulating turbocharger, manifolds, adapters, etc. In July of 1989, I was ready to begin the turbocharger upgrade. Then In mid July I was at the local VW dealer, BSing with the service manager when he announced that he had a Vanagon Turbo Diesel in the shop. It was a Spearco aftermarket kit and a basket case. The mechanic had bought it for a song and had disassembled the engine to repair the problem. Hole in #3 piston. Fused and melted piston ring lands on all 4. Bearings and crank journals so far gone that they had to be described as burnt. Visible cracks on the connecting rods, scored cylinder walls, burnt valves, warped head with extensive cracking between intake and exhaust valves. Mechanic said that the engine was probably combusting aluminum.

I then researched the issue further by checking out several Vanagon diesel with aftermarket turbo kits that I located in SoCal junkyards. Went as far as San Luis Obispo to check them out. The only one in different shape was a unit that had a Jetta TD engine installed with oil squirters bathing the underside of the pistons, better metallurgy, etc. I gave up the idea of turbocharging the Vanagon N/A diesel.

The next flurry of activity occurs in April of 1993 as I begin searching for info on the gasoline engine conversion issues. I had concluded that the digifant II engine was the most appropriate and cost effective engine in January of 1995. Purchased the engine in late August of 1995. Started the conversion on Sept 2, 1995. Finished the full system (including interior mods) and did the first test drive on December 29, 1995. Usually worked on weekends and holiday breaks.

Since then (6 plus years) I have had three types of problems:

1). Starter failures. Replaced 1 per year for years. Did the same for the diesel phase since 1984. Documented in the archives. My final solution was a thermal shield, and a 00 gauge wire from the accessible starter bolt to the battery ground terminal. Did the remote solenoid thing back in 1985. No further starter problems for years.

2). Battery death. Not expensive but must have put Montgomery Wards out of business. First battery failed in 1984. (I had installed my auxiliary battery system at this time also). Purchased "lifetime" warranty batteries from MW at the time. Replaced them every year by May thereafter till about 4 years ago when I fabricated a heat shield and oriented the right side air intake flow around the batteries and out the rear. Now I get 3 year life out of the optima style (one starter type, one deep cell). Can't complain.

3). Fuel system problem. For years after the diesel to gas conversion, I was stopped at the most inopportune times by rust and debris in the fuel filter. Got so I could change the fuel filter in less than 12 minutes while waiting for the ferry in Vancouver to Victoria. Finally just stopped about two years ago, but I always carry spare fuel filters. Sometimes when I run out of gas, SWMBO has to stop me as I go under the van on the rear drivers side and insist that I add gas first. This lead me to install a fuel pressure gauge to monitor the fuel rail.

3a). Fuel tank hoses. PITA. Finally got so ticked off, I cut the VW crossover pipe and added a length of hose to eliminate the problem. Haven't revisited that one in years.

That's it! For 6 plus years and 130,000 plus miles, she has never failed to start, run flawlessly, spin vigorously, never overheated, no oil usage between changes (I use 10,000 mile intervals), no metal in oil by analysis, goes to Texas, Maine, Baja C and Alaska with utter faithful reliability.

Now this is not to purloin Subies or unregisterable overpriced quasi-factory conversions. But, any 8 V VW inline (even the CIS stuff for the masochists out there) up to the ABA together with the diesel parts will generate a bulletproof ride.

Now the power level will not embarrass any rice rockets or supercharged VR6 GTi's, but power delivered to the wheel will be more than adequate. My 1.8L 8V drives the AC as needed in SoCal, the New Mexican and Arizona deserts as well as the hell hole of the Texas plains in July. My top speed on the straight and level (sea level actually) is just under 100. I can cruise at 80 across the Southwest, AC blasting, 20 hours a day (3 hour intervals between dog and facility stops).

So why this note? Well, my conscience is bothering me. Every time I open the garage door and the light strikes the Audi 2.0 Turbo being prepared for the next version, I hear a soft whimper from the Vanagon. I seem to hear it say "why me? What have I done? What will become of me?" This note goes to the list with a cc to the force. Hopefully my semi sentient 1.8 L system will be assured that I will move it on to another family when all is done - "no ill will involved".

Frank Grunthaner