Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Apr 2002 08:27:12 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Pop Top Update
Comments: To: mccavittj@yahoo.com

Don't drive your pigs to that market. I have several patents and have manufactured vacuum formed fence panels, Styrofoam products, fabricated steel products and fiberglass products. In every case the patents, tooling and warehousing was about 10% of the marketing costs. If you don't have deep pockets, just cut and run while you can.

Stan Wilder (Older and Wiser)

On Mon, 15 Apr 2002 06:05:47 -0700 J McCavitt <mccavittj@YAHOO.COM> writes: > Hello everyone, > > It's been a while, but I'm still here, just been busy > getting the "fleet" ready for spring. > > The first top is ready! I will be examining it this > week, to make sure all the thicknesses are correct at > critical points, and if no changes are needed, taking > it home for installation prep. The shop is a > well-respected fabricator out in Amityville, a family > business that's been there for decades. It's a fair > hike back to my garage, so I'll have to bungee the > top > to the roof of the van... guess I'll have to install > the edge seal first! > > I will probably get around to installation in early > May, barring workspace issues or financial woes. I > have recieved a price for quantity runs of the tops, > so I am FINALLY able to quote some realistic prices. > > BASIC KIT: $1499 > This is the one for Do-It-Yourselfers who have some > woodworking equipment or know a carpenter. > Kit components include: > - Fiberglass Pop Top shell> - Fiberglass van roof > base > - Naugahyde Tent w/ 3 zippered & flapped screen > windows > - 2 side and 1 rear scissor arm sets > - Scissor arm tracks and rollers > - Lift assist springs > - Top Latches > - Fasteners and hardware > - Top weather strip (same as Westphalia) > - Detailed plans for installation > - Installation video( available after I complete my > van) > You will need to fabricate the inner frame of the > top, > which is simply a ladder frame: 6 ribs and 2 sides. A > blueprint and detailed instructions will be included. > Simple construction, but you need a bandsaw to cut > the > ribs in an arc that matches the curve of the Top > roof. > Uses 1x2 Oak, or other hardwood. Plastic wood is also > a possibility, may be a bit heavier. A thin plywood > or > paneling ceiling is covered in the headliner material > that you supply, and attached to the frame. The inner > frame is what the tent attaches to, as well as the > scissor arms, it really constitutes the roof of the > top, the outer shell is for weatherproofing and > aerodynamic fairing. > > Complete Kit: $1899 > This includes all of the components of the Basic Kit, > plus: > - All wood frame pieces, formed, pre-drilled, > ready-to-assemble. > - 1/8 Plywood ceiling, pre-drilled, covered in Light > Grey headliner. Other colors available, inquire. > - All fasteners and hardware to assemble frame. > - Interior Dome light > - Long drill bit for base installation > - Detailed assembly instructions > > Ready-To-Install Kit: $2399 > This kit has it all, and everything is assembled as > far as it can be before the cutout is made in the > roof. > All you need to do is make the hole in your roof, > screw in the base plate, then attach the outer shell > to the inner frame with the supplied "L" brackets. > Then go camping! > Of course, it's not THAT simple, but this kit > requires > the least effort to put in. > > These kits do require a large hole to be cut in the > roof of your Vanagon. It does not take out any > structural members, nor weaken the roof in any way, > as > it utillizes the factory sunroof cutout. > Precise measurements are needed, and provided. If you > follow the instructions, it will work. > As such, it's still a major modification, if you have > any doubts about your ability to make that hole right > the first time ('Cause one shot's all you get!) have > a > body shop or RV tech do the cuttin'. I take no > responsibility for anyone cutting their roof off at > the pillars. > > Anyone interested in doing business as an installer, > contact me for quantity discounts! > > All interested persons may contact me by: > > - replying to this e-mail > - Phone (718) 930-9765 Monday-Thursday 8AM-3PM > - Fax (718)995-5194 Attn. Jerry McCavitt > - Mail > Jerry McCavitt > 338 Oakford St. > West Hempstead, NY 11552 > > I am working on a website, details to follow. > > Thanks to everyone for their interest, keep those > vans > rolling! > > Sincerely, > > Jerry McCavitt > The Pop Top Project > '86 Syncro GL > > __________________________________________________ > Do You Yahoo!? > Yahoo! Tax Center - online filing with TurboTax > http://taxes.yahoo.com/ >