Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Apr 2002 09:10:17 -0500
From:         Chris Mills <scmills@TNTECH.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Overseas travel questions, especially for Britain
Comments: To: Katherine Lee <katydid@TELUS.NET>

I realize that you are asking for info about England but I think much of the same information applies to the rest of Western Europe.

>1. Without having researched the cost of shipping two ways, we are wondering >whether shipping the Westy with some of our possessions packed within might >be more cost effective than finding and buying and then selling a camper van >(Westfalia, Eurovan, whatever) in Europe. I understand theft and security >might be an issue depending on the type of container used for shipping and >where the van is stored (e.g. in an open compound) once it arrives. Do any >of you have thoughts or experiences to share about this? Also, we're in >Vancouver, so any shipping information about Canadian companies or ports >(West or East Coast) would be appreciated.

When I was transferring back from Naples, Italy to VA I looked into shipping an '84 Rabbit convertible that I had just completed. It was going to cost between $1500 and $1750 one way. I just sold the car there and pocketed the money. That was in 1994 by the way.

>2. We've also been told (by a Canadian Eurovan seller in Holland, who was >biased, one has to admit) that second-hand camper vans like the Westfalia >are very hard to come by in Europe. This doesn't really make sense to me, >but I'll ask anyway ... does anyone know if this is the case and why?

When I went to Italy I thought it would be easy to find cherry VW vans and campers. In 3 years I saw one splitty (very rough) and the only Westfalias I saw were owned by Americans and were brought with them.

>5. What about unleaded fuel? Is this readily available in all Western >European countries?

Leaded, diesel and unleaded fuel is available about everywhere these days in Western Europe. The former Eastern Bloc countries are a different story. Italian gas was between $4.50 and $4.75 a gallon in 1994. Tourists can buy tax free or reduced tax gasoline I think. You'd have to get in touch with the Italian Tourist ministry. As military we were allowed to get 300 liters a month of $1.50 a gallon gas. With a Westfalia you would be able to get 400 liters a gas under the military system. Don't know how this applies to tourists.

>Just to make a long post longer, I've looked a 1994 edition of "Europe by >Van and Motorhome", which discourages people from shipping their vehicles to >Europe ... so I don't mind hearing pros & cons about the whole idea. I'll >also ask our local CAA travel office about rules & regs while travelling in >Europe ...

It's alot of work. We plan to take our '78 Westy with us when we move back to Europe for a few years. It's also expensive. Might be worth it if you are travelling for a year b/c you know your vehicle. A new engine or a new tranny for a locally purchased vehicle will equal the cost of transport of your vehicle. If you are confident of the condition of the expensive portions of your vehicle and they won't fail - it might be worth it just for the piece of mind.

Be aware of the rampant petty theft another list member mentioned. It is a huge problem in Italy and in other countries as well I suspect. Be aware of what is visible in the van when parked. Be aware of what could be grabbed if someone smashed a window and ran while you sit in traffic - commonly done with scooters in Naples. Look into getting local license plates for the country you are spending your time in. Thieves look for foreign license plates and know that your vehicle contains luggage b/c you are travelling. They know tourists carry cameras and other nifty gadgets. Vans represent families or groups of people travelling together and potentially a bigger haul. As a Navy MP I filled out alot of paperwork on smash and grab theft. Sometimes 10-12 reports a day in Naples on US military personnel only. I have walked down a city street late at night and saw 20 cars with a window smashed and the car searched.

The best thing you can do is not look rich, not look like an American, and try to make your vehicle look local.

If you have fancy wheels - look into steel wheels and plastic hubcaps. Get rid of your American bumper stickers. Get rid of the USA country of origin sticker if the local regs don't require it (magnetic USA signs are nice). I'd consider a pull-out stereo. That is a stereo that you can physically remove from the dash with a push of a button and slip into a carrying case. Removable face plate stereos are nice too (I have one) but I don't know how the theives view these stereos. Many times theieves will break in just to look to see if the radio or faceplate was left in the car. Do not have a bunch of fancy speakers. Often Americans in Naples would invest in fancy box speakers (Pioneer or whatever) and perch them in the back window of their cars advertising to the whole world that they had fancy speakers. Some would even connect lighting so the car following could read the backlighted brand name of the American's speakers in the car ahead after dark.

I ran Naples license plates that were offered to us at an extra cost. I tried my best to make my little Beetle look like the local cars. It never got broken into and only once did anyone try - I was standing across the street and ran them off.

Be sure to see all of Europe. England is not the whole show by any means. There is so much to see that a year isn;t long enough but it is a wonderful start. I was a low rank enlisted member and did not have the money to travel as much as I wanted to - but I travelled much more than most of my friends who I worked with.

I learned that the tourist sites were interesting but I also found some real treasures in the places the locals went which were usually away from the city centers and off the beaten track. Those places are also much more affordable. Also off season travel is nice too - not so much heat, traffic, tourists or insects.

The language differences isn't the problem it once was. Most every place you go somebody can speak English.

Educate yourself about the basic maintenance of your vehicle. Learn to change the oil, replace flat tires, replace the fan belt, and do basic maintenance. Naturally there are good mechanics everywhere but at least you will be able to recognize impending problems and diagnose them in case a mechanic decides to sell you the wrong repair (very common everywhere).

That's all I can think of now but if I can help with anymore info let me know.

Also if you want to visit the Naples area I can put you in touch with an English speaking friend there. Lot's to see in an hour's drive radius of Naples.

Chris M. <Busbodger - "TEAM SLOWPOKE"> Cookeville, Tennessee

ICQ# 5944649 scm9985@tntech.edu

'78 VW Westfalia (67 HP -> that is...67 Hamster Power) '65 Beetle - Type IV powered '99 CR-V AWD station wagon '81 CB900 Custom moto-chickle 2.5 Corvair engines for my Trans-vair Conversion