Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Apr 2002 23:58:15 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: New bus
Comments: To: ChrisS@INFORMS.COM

In a recent trip that took me from sea level to over 3500 feet I purchased gas about ten times and I can absolutely tell you that there is a definite difference in fuel purchased in major cities and in rural areas not requiring the antipollution additives required in big city fuels. The out of city fuels are better and the high altitude fuels are even better. I have zero idea whether there were octane differences, most said 87 octane on the pumps but I can't verify the truth to that. In addition Vanagons of all years like night driving, cooler temperatures, denser air, just overall they are night creatures.

Stan Wilder 83 Westfalia Air Cooled

On Sun, 21 Apr 2002 23:44:43 -0500 Chris Stann <ChrisS@INFORMS.COM> writes: > > BTW, what is the general consensus on fuel grade? Is there any > benefit > > to 91 octane or will 87 work? > > I personally notice mild seat-of-pants non-scientific improvement in > uphill > performance when running 93 Octane, but probably only because I am > running > advanced timing on my '85 Westy. I don't think the WBX has high > enough > compression to use the higher-grade fuel to its full advantage, so I > run > regular most of the time and can still cruise at 80 on a flat road > with some > breathing room left. > > Chris. > '85 Westy >