Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Apr 2002 17:04:45 -0700
From:         Steve Schwenk <steve@SYNCRO.ORG>
Subject:      Ratio Rocker Installation Issues
Comments: To: "syncrolist@yahoogroups.com" <syncrolist@yahoogroups.com>

A bunch of people have gotten ratio rockers over the last few years and i have yet to see any in depth discussion of proper installation of the rockers. I raise the issue now because i am about to install 1.25 rockers and because i received a disturbing e-mail regarding the pre-cut push rods i obtained for several people in a recent group purchase of 1.4 rockers.

I have been told by at least C.B. performance and Fast German Auto that it is fine to use the stock pushrods with 1.25 rockers. Would custom cut pushrods be better, or would they be a waste of money with 1.25 rockers? See the e-mail below for why i ask.

Everyone agrees that custom cut pushrods are needed for the 1.4 rockers. But what is the proper method for measuring? See the e-mail below for one proposed method. Is there an accepted method that results in proper set up and full performance without premature wear?

And if a proper measurement is obtained for one wasserboxer, would that measurement be good for all other WBXers with the exact same set up?

Finally, what about actually installing the pushrods and proper alignment? Is Bentley good enough on this?

I have gotten conflicting info on these questions, even from the same shop. Some of these issue were raised by the e-mail copied below, which has been redacted and edited somewhat to protect the innocent! There are a lot of people out there who could likely benefit from this info (including me!), so any contribution is appreciated. Steve _____________________________________________________________________ He measured the push rods and found them all to be bent by at least 5 thousandths and as much as 25 thousandths. I would caution anyone that installs the push rods supplied. We have confirmed a 99% chance that they will cause improper vale train alignment. This will negate much of the performance of the rockers and can lead to side loads on the valves and valve guides including wear on the rockers themselves. The conclusion now is that the rods are too short. This will error on the side of less valve travel and may prevent problems with piston clearance, but will lead to the premature wear.

If what we believe and hear to be true, the push rods will work for awhile and you will be driving a time bomb. With the 1.25 to 1 rockers, there is less danger of clearance problems, but then again, proper length and alignment is critical for long life.

To do the alignment, we have to replace the lifters with solid lifters by destroying at least 4 push rod tubes, replacing the stock valve springs with soft ones and then do all the clearance measurement and spring compression measurements of the inner and outer springs before determining the right push rod length, This has to be done on at least cylinders and preferably on all of them. A MUCH easier and precise job with the engine out of the van. ______________________________________