Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Apr 2002 07:35:40 EDT
From:         Jeffrey R <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Carfax when buying Vanagons (little Vanagon content)

I recently subscribed to Carfax for $19 for two months unlimited use. For those that don't know, Carfax is an internet site where you can type in a cars Vehicle Identification Number and get a car history.

Now the history they offer is kind of limited. It tells if the car ever had a salvage title, or was a fleet vehicle, or was sold at auction. And then it tells the mileage at different stages when records come up for a transfer of title or state inspection and the like.

At first I thought the site was kind of bogus. I mean they offer an "up to" $5000 guarantee that a car has a clean title if they say it has a clean title. The catch is the fine print says they will give you 10% of the wholsale value of the vehicle up to $5000. So this isn't a money maker if you find out the title was not clean. And quite frankly I'm not even sure what a unclean title is.

BUT, I ran a bunch of reports on different cars, a one-owner Fox I recently bought, a one-owner Ford Taurus my sister bought in spite of my advice not to (it's a dog), and a buddy's Chevy he bought from his one-owner aunt. And everything came up clean so I figured Carfax was worthless. But these were actually all one-owner cars and we were pretty certain of that to begin with. So, for example, my buddy's aunt didn't roll back the speedo. So maybe I called the site bogus too soon.

Then I started to run other friends cars who had bought them used here in SoCal. And a lot of them came back with evidence the mileage had been rolled back and some had salvage titles. Some were fleet vehicles. Some sold at auction. And all these reasons I would have, and they would have, passed on the cars had they have known.

A bunch of vehicles would show something like 97K miles in 1998 and then would be retitled in 1999 with 36K showing a "potential rollback" according to Carfax. And these were cars with a six digit odometer allowing it to show accurate mileage over 100,000--meaning it didn't "roll over" back to zero and start again. The information would suggest someone tampered with the odometer reading. And the information comes up in some cases with mileage every two years as the car is inspected so you see the progression which seems to suggest the rollback they've uncovered is actually a roll back rather than an error in someone punching a number into a computer at the inspection point. It'll read something like : 1996 36,000 miles, 1998 58,000 miles, 2000 92,000 miles, 2001 55,000 miles.

One car a guy at work bought from a dealer what was an alleged "one owner" Chevy Blazer with 30K "original miles" where car fax showed it at 85,000 a few years earlier. Another BMW was Salvaged twice and just kept having lower and lower mileage records over the years. And the thing is here in SoCal the amount of use the car has had doesn't necessarily jump out at you on a visual inspection as the cars don't rust.

Anyway the point is for about $20 it might give piece of mind and might keep you from buying a car from someone being less than honest.

If you go for it and start running Carfax reports for friends (as you can run an unlimited number for the 2 months) I recommend you do it descreetly. I mean the one guy who is so proud of his 37,000 original mileage Blazer doesn't really benefit from knowing he got taken by the dealer now that he owns it. So I kept it to myself. Truth is if the car works fine maybe that's all that matters once you own it.

Another buddy who wears the fact that he treats his 89 Fox like crap asked me to run a report for him He has been moping around ever since as he found out the car he bought in 1999 with 50K original miles seems to have had 97K miles in 1998. He just keeps saying "I've been living a lie."

So checking out a car you or a friend already own my not be the most fun thing you could do. But if you're making a purchase it doesn't really hurt to spend the $20.

I have no financial interest in Carfax, by the way.

Jeff 83.5 Westy 160K clean title 93 Fox 55K clean title