Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Apr 2002 06:15:41 -0700
From:         Michael Snow <mwsnow@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: turbo diesel vanagon/quantum air intake how to
Comments: To: michael johnson <gatorxray@EARTHLINK.NET>

michael johnson wrote: > Anyone done the Quantum turbo diesel into the vanagon? Curious of how others have fabricated their air filter intake setup. > Any suggestions ??? > > Can I run an air cooled tranny with the 1.6l turbo motor? Or is the gearing too tall?

I would look closely at this page before picking a transmission.

http://volksweb.relitech.com/helmut/GEARBOX.HTM

The factory did a pretty good job of selecting the right gearing for the diesel engines. Don't place too much emphasis on high gear. The most difficult thing to do in a diesel van is to make the shift from 2-3 under heavy load.

I have installed a Quantum TD in my '82 Westy. The air intake is the most difficult part of the job. As a temporary fix, I drilled the rivets out of the water separator elbow (behind left taillight) and put a K&N conical filter inside of it. I used a piece of industrial hose to connect my new filter housing to the turbo inlet. I would not recommend this method. The air filter area is too small for my liking. Using the Quantum parts, I think the best thing is to buy or fabricate a 90 degree elbow that fits on the turbo inlet to allow proper clearance for the intake hose. I want a custom bent metal tube to connect to this elbow. There is too much heat in this area for the thin wall rubber hoses that are so common. I wish I had a good solution for the filter box. There are many suitable models in junkyards on TD cars. I haven't figured out which one will work the best or where to put the filter yet.

Mike Snow