Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Apr 2002 07:37:18 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: aftermarket gas tanks
Comments: To: Bill N <freeholder@STARBAND.NET>

> I am hearing mixed reports about whether I should use a "real" VW > tank or an aftermarket tank > when I replace the tank on my '81 Westy. Any opinions? Also, > who sells a complete kit, with a > tank, all needed hoses and grommets, etc?

The aftermarket tanks are all made in Taiwan, no matter where you buy them. There is only one supplier. At $162 with listmember discount, they are a fraction of the price of German replacement tanks (which are dealer-only I believe). I have been told by one or two customers that the baffling at the bottom of the tank is not as good as on the stock tank but otherwise have had no complaints after selling a couple hundred of them. I would not call them comparable to OEM but at a fraction of the price they are the only economical alternative. Few people spring for what VW wants for a new genuine tank. I would definately say that the aftermarket tank is a better alternative than a used tank, which is likely to already be starting to rust out before you even install it. I would put one in my own van before I would put in a used tank or pay the high price for a new OEM one.

A couple of things worth noting about insalling a new tank. Somewhere in late1984 (apparantly), VW went from a tank with a 70mm inlet to one with a 50mm inlet. I have also seen some earlier Vanagons with later tanks, probably due to warranty replacement of the tank. Unless you measure the inlet there is no way of being positive what you will have. (You can also measure the fuel filler neck diameter to determine this but I don't know offhand exactly what the required measurement would be; supposedly somewhere close to 70mm or 50mm.) My part numbers are 251 201 075AD for the early one, and 251 201 075AE for the later one. In 1990, another change occurred. VW got rid of the pre-pump fuel filter, and in doing so, changed the outlet diameter of the tank. An aftermarket tank is not made to match that later style, but it is not neccessary. Just buy the 50mm tank, a pre-pump fuel filter (133 133 511), and a couple meters of 5mm fuel line and the '85-90 tank will work perfectly (plus you'll have an extra fuel filter inline, not a bad thing at all). A final note: none of these tanks fits a Syncro.

You can find all of the parts you need on the Bus Depot website. The main parts you will need is three grommets ( N90100401) at $2.49, one plastic "T" piece (251 201 147B) at $22.95, and one filler seal. The filler seal is $12.95 for a 70mm tank (251 201 139) or $5.95 for a 50mm tank (251 201 139A).

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. (215) 234-VWVW www.busdepot.com

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by Part # 1-866-BUS-DEPOT