Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Apr 2002 22:29:41 -0500
From:         "Smola, Tony" <TSmola@TRIBUNE.COM>
Subject:      Re: VANAGON DRAG RACES!......which is actually a faster Vanagon..
              ..th              e 1.9L timed at 5 degrees BTDC or the
              2.1L.......is the re a              noticable dif ference?
Comments: To: Chris Stann <ChrisS@informs.com>

the new cam will help the 1.9L breathe....the 107i from web cam..... here are the #'s

stock 1.9L intake lift at valve .323" exhaust lift at valve 307" 208 degrees @ .050 stock 2.1L intake lift at valve .365" exhaust lift at valve .345"? 225 dur int, 217 exh @.050 webcam 107i intake lift at valve .326' exhaust lift at valve .430" 225 dur @.050 total dur=255

numbers should be close...I'll cc the list for the cam #'s

Tony -----Original Message----- From: Chris Stann [mailto:ChrisS@informs.com] Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2002 5:32 PM To: Smola, Tony; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: VANAGON DRAG RACES!......which is actually a faster Vanagon....th e 1.9L timed at 5 degrees BTDC or the 2.1L.......is there a noticable dif ference?

> I'm in So Cal and would like to know if anyone has any experience with > competitive driving between the 1.9L and the 2.1L....... > My 85' Westy w/ low compression on two of the cyl's still does 70 mph on the > flats......and will keep up with any vanagon, except when > we come to a significant hill....that's when the low compression really > shows.......

I 'raced' an '89 Westy with my Westy. The '89 had tiny, and worn, 185 R 14 tires while my '85 not only sits about two inches higher, it also wear gumball 27x8.5R14 tires. My 1.9L does have advanced timing and the '85 is a 'weekender' Westy, while the '89 is a full conversion. We were both at about 60 traveling up a slight incline and floored it at the same time. The '89 slowly, and I mean SLOWLY, inched ahead of me. The smaller tires and the 2.1L has gave it an advantage in that run. The '89's engine revs noticeably better with seemingly higher power at upper RPM, while my 1.9 just doesn't seem that eager to rev. This was true before I put the larger tires on and advanced the timing.

Keeping the above in mind... I recently took a trip south to the beach. My Dad was eager to drive the Westy, while I drove his new PT Cruiser, aka PT Looser. I locked the cruise at 80 MPH and the Westy kept up admirably never getting very far behind. About 100 miles later when we stopped at a gas station, my dad asked why I didn't go any faster. Hmmmmm....

Chris,

'85 Westy.