Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Apr 2002 23:28:28 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: bus depot probs?

> I wonder if they went back down again, until today----as Ron > announced----

Yes, they went up briefly on Friday and again yesterday, but the database was unstable and kept crashing. Today everything worked all day long, so I think it's over now. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

> Should pehaps be thinking about investing in some new electronic > equipment---

Ironically, that is exactly what precipitated this whole mess. You should see the motley conglomeration of geriatric computers that made up our network. Most of our workstations were old Pentium 100 desktops (which were already well-used even when we bought them), some of them still running Windows 95. Even the "server" was an ancient Cyrix based Packard Bell, all we could afford at the time. But the duct tape and chewing gum that held them together was starting to wear thin. So, in order to prevent a catastrophic crash caused by one of these dinasaurs melting down, we bought some real computers and started replacing one at a time, to minimize downtime. It was supposed to be a seamless and gradual upgrade. Then all hell broke loose.

Anyway, our company database is now running on a shiny new Windows 2000 server. Now I have to migrate the rest of our software to it. But not for a while. I need a breather before I dive back into it. Boy am I frazzled.

The good news is, I think that the impact on customer orders will be minimal, with very few isolated exceptions. The guys at the shop really came through, and put in a lot of extra time and effort to keep us generally on schedule despite everything. So I think most people will be blissfully unaware of the sheer panic and pandemonium that we went through during the last few days.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. (215) 234-VWVW www.busdepot.com

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by Part # 1-866-BUS-DEPOT