Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Apr 2002 00:38:25 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: '83 Vanagon
Comments: To: james_ballen@hotmail.com

This is getting very confusing. If its an air cooled ........... make sure the engine number starts with CV, that will be a 2000cc TypeIV. If its got anything other than CV as the first two letters it could have an old retrofitted 1800cc engine. I don't really trust anything the PO says unless they produce a receipt for the parts and or labor. Vanagon L is just a standard interior. The LS is a more Deluxe Vanagon with upgraded upholstery. You can swap out with a nicer interior from anything from 80-84, the sliding door on 85 up is longer but 80-91 Front door panels, Armchair Seats, Carpets will all swap out easily. Why don't you run a car-fax on the vehicle and let us know the VIN and we can possibly tell you a little better what you've got. I say that because it is my understanding that the last production of Air Cooled was in October of 1982, my 83 Westy was made in September of 82 and sold to the original owner in May of 1983. A good running Air Cooled should have about 69 horsepower and a good running Water Cooled 1.9 would have close to 100 horsepower so you need to know exactly what you're buying. Most of the people on the Vanagon List are Waser Boxer owners and they would never consider an air cooled. I on the other hand prefer the Air Cooled, could be only because I have one but the point is be sure what you're getting. Unless the vehicle is a one owner vehicle the 140 K doesn't mean much unless you can verify it with a Car-fax report or a contiguous set of State Inspection Reports stating the mileage. If at all possible take the car to a good mechanic shop and check the compression. A very good Air Cooled engine can have as much as 135 psi cylinder pressure, a good half life engine will be in the 110-120 range, if the cylinder pressures are 90 or below or there is more than 5-10 difference in cylinder pressures its time for a rebuild at a price of $1800.00 on a pallet exchange + freight. I think I sent this link to you already but here it is again if you need it: http://williamwareagency.com/forsale/stanvan/buyused.htm I plagiarized this from a recent post: ----------------------------------- The easiest way to tell if your Vanagon is air or water cooled is to look at the VIN. The fifth letter/number will be either A, B or G. If A, you have an air-cooled model, if B, it is water-cooled, and if G, it is a diesel. Tom LaLanne '86 Subie Westy -------------------------------------------------- Hope this has been of some help to you.

Stan Wilder 83 Air Cooled Westfalia http://williamwareagency.com/forsale/stanvan/index.html

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002 22:09:54 -0700 James Ballen <james_ballen@HOTMAIL.COM> writes: > Hey Volks, > > first i'd like to thank everyone that responded to my original post > about > the '83 i am looking at. Well, i took it for a drive this morning. > It has > some really nice qualities to it. Drives very nice and true. has a > new > clutch, and master cylinder a few years old. Exterior is California > weathered, but not rusty, the undercoating is still there > underneath, and > the interior is in excellent condition. > > My biggest concern is the motor. It has 140K original, and it is > running > really well, but my fear is that soon i may need to do a rebuild due > to its > age sometime in the near future. what do you all think? > It is air-cooled, and a 1.8L i think. The door post said it was > produced > 1/1983. > If i buy it, it will most likely make a cross-country journey, and > then back > in a few months. (CA->Mass->CA) > > It's not a westy, and doesn't say country homes camper on it. The > pop-up > goes straight up, and is set up for sleeping. It has long screen > windows > along either side, and a front open window for accessing the luggage > rack. > Also has the dual-burner, sink, fridge setup. > What exactly is this bus? it says it is a Vanagon L. > > and finally, does anyone know a trustworthy, reasonably-priced VW > mechanic > in the SF bay area? preferably east bay... > > Sorry for all the questions, but i figured this is the best place in > the > world to find this info! Thanks to all who give their piece of > advice > > ~James > > > I've never undertaken a project of that size, > > _________________________________________________________________ > Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: > http://messenger.msn.com >