Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 23 May 2002 23:54:34 -0500
From:         Mike Boland <Mboland@BBNOW.NET>

I have a 1991 VW Westy GL I bought it last July > has 107,000 strong engine. ran well when bought it. > had exhaust leak @ pipe on #3 cylinder and coolant leak on water pipe to > / from water pump and cracked pin hole leak at small hoses at oil > cooler. found PO had welded exhaust nut to stud on # 3 & 4 cylinders No > idea why.. > > I had to cut off the stud/weld with high speed cut off wheel to remove > exhaust. > > I removed the engine to get better access studs in heads to drill / e-z > out the studs. I got them out & installed new studs > water pipe was welded up. ALL coolant lines & fuel lines were replaced. > new rubber seals were installed on fuel injectors (both big / small) new exhaust pipes / muffler installed. new clutch installed CV joints clean & re-greased.

I reinstalled engine transmission

It fired right up.. idles great / runs strong for first 2 minutes or so.. then Idle drops....real low no power, runs very rich (black smoke / soot) out exhaust smell very rich

I double checked all wires, vacume leaks / hoses found nothing amiss. I replaced the coolant temp sensor #2 still does it. it will not run well when warm next morning or few hours later It'll start right up, idle smoothly rev though rpm range strongly then 2 minutes later suddenly drops low idle, no power etc. when cold again it'll fire right up run strong 2 minutes till starts warm up...

any one have any ideas?

no work was done on engine itself. while engine was out. just replaced exhaust pipes / hoses clutch etc. > > mike