Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 Apr 2002 10:13:19 -0400
From:         Jay L Snyder <Jay.L.Snyder@USA.DUPONT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Advancing timing
Comments: To: wb6otg <wb6otg@INTREX.NET>

This is for 1.9s only. Set the idle speed and timing with the stabilizer jumped (leads hooked together). The idle will speed up as the timing is advanced. You must crank the idle speed screw (large slotted screw on top of the throttle body) down to return idle to spec. I would try going to TDC (advanced from 4 or 5 ATDC). Turn the distributor until the TDC mark (the round groove) aligns with the case split. The "V" groove indicates the stock 5 ATDC setting. Most idle hunting problems are due to the idle speed screw being set too far from where the stabilizer wants to control it at. 5 BTDC may be too much, although I have run it that way in the past. Right on TDC may be a good compromise and is easy to eye-ball using the TDC mark on the pulley. I am currently breaking in a new Boston Bob engine, so I am running stock timing. Once broken in, I will probably go to TDC. It does seem to give a little better pull up through the gears, especially that big gap from 2nd gear to 3rd gear.

Jay

wb6otg <wb6otg@INTREX.NET>@gerry.vanagon.com> on 04/24/2002 09:48:52 AM

Please respond to wb6otg <wb6otg@INTREX.NET>