Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 Apr 2002 16:15:25 -0400
From:         Ben huot <huotx@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      I wish to add my 2-cent on Internet communication. (In reply to
              the Bus Depot problem post)

I sent an inquiry e-mail about VDO gauge and sender for a 2.1L last week to 4 differents parts supplier --Bow Wow auto parts in BC ( http://www.bowwow.ca/ ) --California export parts in BC (also located in California) http://store.cip1.com/ --The Bus Depot (http://www.busdepot.com/) --Volks café (http://volkscafe.com)

All have reply to me. (Time to reply vary) Th following are fact:

Time & comment from all 4:

---Bow Wow (no pictures on the web site): 3 days to reply---Good answer but not complete enough for me, I still wonder if the parts will need some modification (oil pressure sender). I have a last question for them but the e-mail is not working since 2 days. They say that they have the direct-fit sender parts in stock (the only one to have the direct fit parts / sender to replace the existing one)

First e-mail from them: (((Good Morning Benoit, In response to your e-mail, the pressure sender is $56.95, the guage (52mm size) is $45.80 (CAD), the mounting cup for the guage if there is no room to mount it into the dash is $50.70(CAD) but that would require drilling 52mm hole. Thank you for inquiring at Bow Wow.

Last e-mail from them: (((Good Morninng Benoit, In reply to your latest e-mail, the oil pressure sender is sending information to the gauge electrically. You would need a sender with two connections and that could replace either sender. You have two existing senders, one on the head which is the high pressure and one by the oil filter which is the low pressure. Thank you for inquiring at Bow Wow.)))

---California export parts(many very good pictures): 3 days to reply--- Very good answer, first e-mail to say that they are working on my question and a day later to tell me that they don't have the direct fit part Here is the first e-mail: (((Hello Benito! I am currently looking up info for the gauges you 2.1 requires. There is some specific info I need. I wanted to let you know I am working on it and I will get back to you. Thanks, Kris Kahle@ CIP.)))

---Volks Café (very good picture also): 12 hours to reply---they don't carry VDO gauge or other with a very good explanation of why they don't carry those, (for now they make sense)

---The bus depot (No picture on the subject, not many picture on the web site either): 5/7 day to reply with very good apology--- they carry some non direct-fit parts with a VERY good explanation on how to do the "Fitting" and link. (but I don't want to add an extension to my sender, thanks anyway guys)

In conclusion, Internet is not as ready as we think, all smaller company are working very hard to do better. I have done business with 3 of them so far and all packages came to my home safe and sound with a reasonable delay (including Bus Depot--heavy box with exhaust parts) Internet as one good reason to be there; PICTURES!!! But yes, the good old phone still exists.

I have my own Internet business so I know that over charge e-mail days can be a pain in the ass. Especially question! http://www.eurokitplane.com/ (my company /hobby product RC plane and retractable landing gear) I never take more than 24 hours to reply, even if it's a: " we have receive your e-mail questions, we are working on it and will come back to you very soon with an answer". I do send a little something so at least the customer knows that I have received is e-mail. My site is very complete, all part / section are full of pictures to help understand the product with all size and dimension. It is the only way I am able to sell by Internet only. Lots of good explanatory pictures so the customer as no surprise or deception when the product arrives at is home. (what you see is what you get), you will also see that I add a lot of technical comment.

I also put a page up for Bow Wow so those guys know what I am talking about (pictures are from California export parts web site): http://pages.infinit.net/engine/vdo.htm If you take a look you will see that the California Export web site as very good picture but sadly they mostly sell parts for older bus.

So with all those questions I still have no idea if I can find and buy a direct-fit electronic oil sender and a gauge for my 2.1L Westy.

Regards, Ben