Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Apr 2002 18:34:33 -0400
From:         Jon Sykes <jon.sykes@PS.GE.COM>
Subject:      82 Diesel Vanagon Engine Replacement - I'm looking at the 1.9 NA
Comments: To: vwdiesel@vwfans.com, vanagon@yahoogroups.com,
          Vanagon-Westfalia@yahoogroups.com, limbolist@yahoogroups.com,
          Audi-VW-Diesels@yahoogroups.com, vanagon@gerry.com,
          turbovans@yahoogroups.com, TDI-conversion@yahoogroups.com,
          Vanagon-EngConv@yahoogroups.com

Thanks to everyone who responded to my recent posting regarding an engine swap in my 82 diesel vanagon. The 8V digifant Jetta was looking like a good choice, but then my Parts Place catalog arrived in the mail. Parts Place are selling 1.9 diesel short blocks for $1095. These are new engines! I know that they were never used in vehicles imported to the States, but Canada isn't that far away and I'm sure parts can be purchased more easily over the internet these days. This is a new engine anyway, shouldn't need parts for a while.

I'll be able to use my reasonably good 1.6 head and most of the other stuff will transfer right over. Sounds like the only snags are extending the exhaust a little and tweaking the injection pump. I'll probobly buy new injectors at the same time.

Anyone else done this conversion? This is a 75 HP engine - a decent improvement over the stock 48. I think with the stock gearing I'll be able to have the extra little bit of power needed for hills, highway entrances, etc and still get high 20s mpg. Maybe it'd be worth using the air-cooled or wasserboxer engine instead? Also, if I run this new engine on good oil (maybe not quite Red Line, but something that can cope with the diesel particles) it should be good for at least another 200k miles.

Whadya think?

Jon

---