Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Apr 2002 12:59:05 -0400
From:         Ben huot <huotx@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: mystery of the missing coolant

I learn something this weekend! (I know, basic stuff, I should know better!!!!)

The expansion tank will suck coolant from the refill thank until the expansion tank if full, only then the refill will have some coolant. If you keep the expansion tank at 3/4 (It's ok to run the van like that, I've been running my van like that for the pass year!!! At ¾ with the refill empty!!!) the refill tank will always be empty, if you put just a bit of coolant in the refill tank it will go right away to the expansion tank until this one is full. When the cooling system is functioning properly, the "coolant Expansion difference" is about 1 inch between hot and cold.

I just fill my exp. Tank full this weekend and left about 1/4 in the refill tank.

If you leave the expansion tank at 3/4 and the refill empty there is 2 disadvantages: -You need to remove the rear hatch to check coolant level. -If you have a sudden coolant failure, the exp. tank will drop faster but the result will be similar as the coolant level sender is in the exp.tank!!! the only difference is that (if refill tank is always at ¼) you will not know right away that you have a problem.

In case of a hose failure (coolant going fast!!!!) it would be better to have the coolant sender in the refill tank!!!!!!!! More time to stop the van… (Coolant light on, "full" expansion tank left before major failure)

Regards, Ben http://www3.sympatico.ca/huotx/engine1.htm