Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Apr 2002 22:34:59 -0500
From:         "Terry K." <CTONLINE@WEBTV.NET>
Subject:      Re: Skylight Lift Mechanism
Comments: To: mike <mwmiller@CWNET.COM>

Ok---I have read all the repair possibilities----and then I went to Home Depot.

I wandered over to the shower door hardware display, and all that was there was flat non grooved wheels----no good.

I looked to my left and see another display with bi-fold door hardware--ah-ha !!

I bought a package of bi-fold door top pivot's, which are nylon tube's, with a raised collar about in the middle of it.

Picked up some 10-32 screw's, star lock washer's, and some #10 flat washer's, and some nut's---

I cut the pivot, right behind the collar, with a razor saw, and cut the remaining tube to about 1/4 ".

I drilled out the old wheel set-up, from the arms, and simply attatched the nylon tube to the arms---

The tube portion rides inside the track, alost like it was made for it---no slop, and the collar portion is on the outside of the track.

Kinda like a T The stem of the T goes to the arms, the top part or the flat is outside of the track--- Kinda like the teflon tube with a washer on the outside--but this is all one piece.

Bullet proof--works good, should last for a long time--

Thanks to all of you for the input, and idea's----

Later,

Terry

Mke Miller Writes;

I was told to epoxy on buttons. Worked but they wear quickly. Mike

Subject: Skylight Lift Mechanism Ok, all of you late model Westfalia Owner's --this is in regards to the lift set up, and the broken roller's, or wheels, on the end's of the arms for the skylight---- Has any one come up with a repair-- or better set-up, short of replacing the whole unit? Just curious--I have it out right this second, and am trying to determine what to do----the wheels are plum worn down to the nubs---- Later,                ______________           |[  ] [  ] [ ]\           |    |    |    |     ~~~ ~||-(())----(())-| Terry--             "Zoom, Zoom, Zoom" ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ http://community.webtv.net/CTONLINE/TerrysHighOnLife