Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Apr 2002 05:18:47 -0400
From:         Vanagon man <vgonman@MSN.COM>
Subject:      I drove Boston Bob's big valve motor!  Report

Volks, On Monday Boston Bob was heading back home from Florida and stopped by for a visit in Charleston, SC. We fiddled with some of my projects a little while, and then he offered for me to road test his "big valve" 2.1L engine.

Now, I have installed and driven TIICO conversions, so I feel that i can fairly give an unbiased opinion of the two motors.

Let me say that there really is no comparison. The big valve motor is a hoss! I was accelerating up some steep bridges at quarter throttle. The throttle response is amazing, and at low end, is totally in a different league then the TIICO. In my opinion the main benefits of the TIICO occur at cruising speeds on the highway. Around town, the TIICO advantage is minimal. But with Boston Bob's big valve motor, the advantages are at low end and top end.

After being involved with TIICO conversions in the past, let me tell you, it is a real pain. The crate comes and you are missing stuff, the piece of *&*& manual, and all that........with the big valve motor, an engine swap could easily take place in one day. Plus a person could have it in short order as opposed to waiting 4 months with TIICO. Plus the support of Boston Bob, an actual engine builder versus Petar at TIICO ( desk jockey)) goes without saying to anyone that has ever dealt with Bob.

It is an excellent motor, and I urge those considering a TIICO conversion to give Boston Bob a call. He knows what he is doing and creates these new products thru a constant R & D.................

Adam P

81 Vanagon Westy (The Brick) 70 Single Cab "Whitey" 74 Beetle "Ol Yeller" 73 Transporter (STILL at paint shop) 1988 Vanagon Wolfsburg Used Vanagon Parts for sale (mostly aircooled)