Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Apr 2002 08:08:32 -0500
From:         Birkenfeld Jeff <BirkenfeldJeff@JOHNDEERE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Aftermarket  *snip* .TIICO issues
Comments: To: "poll7356@uidaho.edu" <poll7356@uidaho.edu>

Matthew, you have given the list mucho info by your own hand on the TIICO which I appreciate.

-----Original Message----- From: Matthew Pollard [SMTP:poll7356@uidaho.edu]

>1) vw of sa looked at the kit that Remtronic put together and said that it looks good, but >not sure about the extent of their approval. 2) vw of sa doesn't install these >kits, they use their own stuff (do them have a need to install these kits?)!

No surprise to me that VW doesn't install the kit, they have their own parts to do this. They may not endorse this kit due to it using aftermarket parts, i.e. not OEM parts. OEM's rarely, if ever, endorse parts that are not manufactured to their specs, prints or by their approved suppliers. Think warranty.

>If you get the chance to look at a tiico installation or a kit fresh out >of the box, you'll see that this is a kit complete with home-made >looking parts (engine mount ends and alternator and ac bracket). But >most parts of the kit have the fancy 4-interlocking circles (audi/vw tm) >and are genuine pieces.

As you mention, the kit contains what appears to be home made parts, alas, VW will likely never endorse it until all the pieces have that familiar emblem.

>I somewhat agree that the kit won't pass epa b/c it's the wrong engine, >etc, but at the same time, my 86 was designed for this engine. How? >Behind the powersteering pump resivor are the bolts for the i4 engine >mounts. All of the engine mount holes existed- and the rear mounts had >nylon-lock nuts inside the frame rail ready to go! >thanks vw!

My thought is that you have the I4 mounts available due to the nature of manufacturing. VW made the Vanagon with a I4 diesel during it's run, stands to reason most all Vanagon engine compartments would be constructed in similar fashion with those holes available plus the holes for the H4 engine. I'll peek at mine during lunch.

Again, many thanks to you for all your first hand information and postings on the subject.

>Matthew >86 syncro westy tiico (70% satisified w/the engine)

Jeff Birkenfeld '89 Wolfsburg x 2 (would like a new engine in one of them)