Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Apr 2002 22:53:36 -0400
From:         Robert Donalds <bostneng@FCL-US.NET>
Subject:      Re: Main Engine Bearings
Comments: cc: DBAKER5@KC.RR.COM

Dave Baker Anyone know what the current availability of main bearings is? Story I heard was the plant was being moved and they lost the molds. I know folks on the list were talking some time ago about how difficult it was to find them. I wonder if the status has changed.

Dave and the list

Kolbenschmidt has not made a bearing for the 1.9 engine in at least 3 years see the email I got from them over a year ago and they only mention trying to produce the 2.1 bearing in the future and that the tooling was to old they have been tring to find other ways to make the small front bearing I thinkit was I would forward it to you if you pmail me. they have shipped out some sets of 2.1 bearing sets in the last 6 months there have been a couple of people making the rear main bearing and using the bug bearings for the rest of the set this can work the problem as been that the range of size can vary with outer diameter of the new custom bearing and the bug bearings. the other problem is that the 1.9 cases loose there crush fit the hole that the bearing sits in gets larger over time. When a main bearing has little or no crush thats a problem I covered this in a post to the list called (Boston Bobs tale of an engine stripper or .19 Main bearing info was Flickerin oil light on 85 auto) on Sunday, April 07, 2002 check the archives I have just had 65 high quality rear main bearings made for the 1.9 engine in std 20 and 40 over on the case for std and 10 under cranks I also had bearings made with over size thrust to repair worn thrust surfaces. I also can align bore your case and provide you with any and all needed parts how can I help you Bob Donalds

http://wwwbostonengine.com