Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Apr 2002 10:04:47 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: OT: Eudora archiving vanagon mail
Comments: To: Edward Maglott <emaglott@BUNCOMBE.MAIN.NC.US>

At 09:30 AM 4/27/2002, Edward Maglott wrote: >Hey all, >I have Eudora 5.0 set up to filter all my vanagon list mail into a separate >box for easy reading and sorting by thread (subject). Now I'm approaching >100M for that mailbox. I would like to archive this mailbox and start >rebuilding it again. But I would like to later be able to put it all >together in one mailbox to search for solutions or sort the whole thing by >thread. Has anybody figured out how to do this? I checked Eudora's help >and on their website, but didn't find anything about this.

You can search multiple boxes using the Ctrl-F search command. You can also move messages from one box to another -- Ctrl-A to select all, then click-drag onto recipient box will do it. Moved messages will be placed in reverse order at end of recipient box, until you sort them by date or whatever. Eudora unfortunately doesn't believe in actual threads, only in subject headers, and it's not extremely smart about them when you use Alt-click to grab messates with same subj or same author -- a character or two truncated will mess it up. But if you sort by subject it's not bad.

I would be cautious with really large mailboxes, particularly if you're not running the NT/2000/XP family. Eudora is a serious resource hog and puts a good deal of stress on a Win9x/ME system.

If you haven't run into it yet, there are two messages to watch out for: The first one says "Inbox has changed since TOC was written, should I rebuild the TOC? If you do, it will put back all the messages that have been filtered out to other boxes since the last time you compacted the mailbox, so if you're just starting up you'll probably want to say no. It will make you insist several times.

The other one says "I can't open box X unless I rebuld TOC, rebuild or cancel?" If you cancel it will instantly throw away the entire box without asking again. If you leave Eudora running you might be able to snag a copy of the mailbox and let it rebuild the TOC, but once you close Eudora it is gone gone gone.

david

-- David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"