Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Apr 2002 12:50:52 -0500
From:         Jeremy Speer <jspeer@POBOX.COM>
Subject:      Unusual A/C unit available

Posted for a friend who recently acquired an older bus for parts:

Please reply to his email address: <kamsar@earthlink.net>

-------------------- The unit is an air conditioning unit currently residing in and on a '72 Type 2. The bus had a basic Westfalia conversion done to it, sans poptop. The a/c unit is broken up into three locations: the (I assume to be) compressor is inside the engine compartment, immediately to the left when you open the hatch. Two heavy-duty high-pressure lines connect the compressor to (again, what I assume to be) an evaporator mounted underneath the center of the bus. This unit is maybe 2' x 3' in size. The high pressure lines, and a few others, then proceed up through the floor about two feet behind the driver's seat. There, they attach to . . .

. . .the main feature. By removing the rear-facing seat behind the driver's seat, we uncover the blower, another small evaporator, a filter-drier receiver and some other bits all held together in a sheet metal box. The rear of the box becomes a duct that rises vertically between the rear-facing seat and the driver's seat. The duct is topped with a black plastic vent assembly about 8" high, 20" long, and 4" thick. On the duct is an identification label, to wit:

Volkswagen Products Corp. Serial No. 2C-02109 MADE IN U.S.A.

The only other identifying marks are on the Hi-Capacity filter-drier receiver and the high pressure hoses. These were manufactured by the Parker-Hannifin Corp., located in Cleveland and in NY and TX.

Electrical power comes from some serious looking cables that head off to the dashboard/fusebox area.

Everything appears to be intact except for two missing directionals on the vent assembly.

I honestly don't know if the unit works since the bus hasn't been started in 17 years. I do know that there is no pressure in the system now.

I am willing to remove the system if anyone wants it. I have no idea what it's worth, so anyone making what seems to be a reasonable offer can have it. I'm not interested in bidding wars or I would have offered this up on eBay. I just think that there might be someone out there who has been desperately looking for one of these units, and I thought I'd make it available before this bus heads off to the scrap yard. (Of course, if an interested party lives within striking distance of Phoenix, they can always come over and pull it themselves. That'll save shipping charges, plus, if I don't have to do the work, obviously I'd be willing to part [excuse the pun] with the system for far less money.)