Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Apr 2002 16:59:58 -0400
From:         Jon Sykes <jon.sykes@PS.GE.COM>
Subject:      82 Diesel Vanagon Engine Replacement Choices?  Costs?  Comments?

I've had my 82 diesel vanagon camper for a couple of months and a couple of thousand miles now. Everything seems to be working okay and chugging along, but I know that to be completely worry free there are a number of things that need to be fixed on the vehicle. I was beginning to weigh these costs against the cost of replacing the engine altogether. The vehicle has over 200k on the original engine and I know it's not going to last forever. I do want to keep this vehicle forever, however. I don't really mind the poor performance of my van, but obviously would prefer more power without sacrificing economy.

Stuff my van needs (as far as I can tell):

- fix oil leaking between engine and tranny - fix other oil leak from engine - drips onto engine guard and then onto floor (or onto tailgate) - CV joints - various seals - timing job - belt, pulleys, other belts, etc

....pretty much the engine is going to need to be pulled and gone through to fix the leaks, etc and I guess I'd be looking at between $500 and $1000 to have it done (I don't wish to do the work myself). Even with that I'm still going to have a 200k mile engine and just don't know how long it will be before something else goes wrong.

My Vanagon is my daily driver and I love having the ability to pull over, make a cup of tea and catch 40 winks whenever I wish. I don't mind sinking a couple of thousand for a replacement engine. However, I'm not sure what would work and what would be best for me. I would be interested in comments from anyone else who has replaced the engine in their vanagon.

Here's what I've gathered so far in terms of engine choices:

- 1.9 NA Turbo - sounds good, fits well, lot more torque, bit more power, same longevity, same economy, probobly needs an air-cooled gearbox

- TDi - this would completly transform my vanagon into a super-vanagon. I know these engines are bulletproof and very economical. I also know they are a nightmare in terms of chips, wires, and generally setting up in the vanagon (right?). Expensive.

- Subaru - seems to be a better choice for the wasserboxer than for the diesel. It would be nice to keep the vanagon completely VW and the Subaru engines are pretty thirsty, fuel-wise

- GTi, other 4-cyl petrol engine - probobly a good value for money package, but wouldn't the vanagon still be underpowered (these are still small engines)? Probobly fuel economy is not that great.

In a perfect world I would like: more power for hills and overtaking, ability to cruise at 65 - 70 mph, same or similar fuel economy (25 - 30 mpg), reasonable ease of finding parts (and complete engine!), reasonable ease of having my VW mechanic install it.

Comments? Advise? Relative costs per option? Where do I begin?

Any help much appreciated.

Jon

---