Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 Apr 2002 09:08:57 -0400
From:         Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: A/C Question
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>

James, I would almost be willing to bet the farm that this is what is going on: The resistor for your radiator fan has gone bad. This will not allow your radiator fan to come on until your temperature goes beyond where it should normally be or your A/C pressures go beyond what they should normally be and the high speed fan has to kick in and then the compressor kicks off. Check your fan speeds by following the method outlined on my website at http://www.vanagain.com/How2fan.htm. If you are not getting the low speed for your van then it is probably your resistor (located behind the driver's side headlight). You can replace this (they are around $35)and you should be good to go. Could someone please relay this message to James as I don't have his email address.

Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 http://www.vanagain.com Phone: (856)-327-4936 Fax: (856)-327-2242

You need to find out what is setting the radiator fan to run in high speed. This can either be the coolant temperature in the radiator or a high pressure switch in the AC system. If the AC is building too much pressure, the fan will go into high speed and the compressor is turned off. Does the fan run in low speed whenever the compressor is running? If not, then you may have a bad fan resistor disabling both low speeds. Normal operation is as follows: AC Compressor on, fan at lowest speed. Radiator cooling first stage, slightly faster. Radiator cooling second stage, fan full speed, AC Compressor disabled. AC High pressure too high, Fan Full speed, compressor disabled.

Dennis