Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Apr 2002 10:32:16 -0400
From:         Matt Sutton <msutts@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Digifant de-evolution?

Hi Folks, Finally did a tune up on my newly aquired 88 GL, and it's running fine. There is this quirk though- it was running rich before, and still does, unless I run it with the brand new o2 sensor and ISV disconnected. I want to use the ECU for what it was made for, but it just isn't doing me any good right now. Here are some diagnostic clues: -Thermotime/temp sender to ECU performing to Bentley specs -Bosch AFM new-ish to PO (within a couple thousand miles) -Fuel regulator recently replaced by PO -Starting cold with ISV connected and o2 sensor disconected, engine revs to about 2700 rpms, and just stays there- even after everything warms up. Starting cold with with both ISV and o2 sensor connected, it will do the same thing, until it warms up. Then the idle drops to a shakey 700 rpm, and I'm back to square one: a stinking superfund site on wheels that drives like it has double pneumonia. -PO, a super decent fella, says the owner before him may have tried to trick-out the engine in some way. I'm tracking him down to find out what, if anything, he was up to. -The tune-up so far isn't exactly complete: my intent was to replace all the needed replace-ables(plugs, filters, oil, wires, cap and rotor, O2 sensor), then bring to a shop for timing and CO/idle adjustments. This may be completely bass-ackward? -Yes, its true, I'm a newbie.

Any ideas are welcome: further diagnostic tricks, advice, scolding, etc.

Matt 88 GL