Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Apr 2002 11:30:22 -0400
From:         Jon Sykes <jon.sykes@PS.GE.COM>
Subject:      82 vanagon - I need a new engine - questions
Comments: To: JordanVw@aol.com, Audi-VW-Diesels@yahoogroups.com,
          Ilikegoatsbah@aol.com, ovalwindow@yahoo.com, vwdiesel@bright.net,
          r.c.brown@ieee.org, josh_w@sprynet.com, vwdiesel@vwfans.com,
          jwinkelmann_99@yahoo.com, kivka@EARTHLINK.NET,
          warmerwagen@hotmail.com, vanagon@yahoogroups.com,
          Vanagon-Westfalia@yahoogroups.com, limbolist@yahoogroups.com,
          LBaird119@aol.com

Sorry for the mass email, but I need all the help I can get!.....

Well, I'm looking for a new engine for my 82 diesel Vanagon :-(

Took it in for a timing belt adjustment and it turns out that the idler pulley was stripped of its key and had suffered some major damage. If the belt wasn't so slack this probobly would have caused an eventual engine failure.

My mechanic wanted approx $350 to try to fix it enough to hold it together. It would be more to open up the engine and actually replace the shaft. Rather than throw money at an engine that's already blowing oil and has 200k on it, I'm using this as an opportunity to put a new engine in there.

My mechanic has a 1.8 GTI-type motor taken from an '85 Audi 4000. It has 85,000 miles on it and came from a family car. He would charge $2500 to put it in, all the wiring and include an air-cooled gearbox. This sounds pretty good, apart from the already high miles on the motor. I'm also disappointed to know that my fuel consumption will drop from high 20s down to low 20s.

Is this a good candidate motor, given the milage, HP, torque, etc.? Is $2500 a good deal?

Another option would be to get the 1.9 diesel longblock from Parts Place/Overland Parts/Vanagain, try to locate a 1.9 hydralic diesel head locally (or does anyone reading have one?). I'd prefer this option, really, although I doubt it will help the van that much in headwinds, hills and accelerating onto highways? I do like diesels and the fuel economy they provide.

Another local breaker has lower milage '95 2.0 VW engines for $1000, but without wiring harness. Would this be a better candidate?

Any help much appreciated. This is such a stressful event!

THANKS!

---