Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Apr 2002 21:31:49 -0400
From:         Christopher Berchin <ctb1@PEOPLEPC.COM>
Subject:      Part 2:  Review of Agilis 51 205/65-15

Hi all. A couple weeks ago I posted my review of the subject tires after my initial drive. I have now put over 600 miles on these tires in some very wide-ranging conditions - rain, dry, warm, cold, and very high winds. All I needed was some snow to make it complete! Happily, that didn't happen.

After logging this large amount of miles at speeds up to 80 mph and in huge winds, I can say that my first impression holds. These tires are fantastic. All the stuff I mentioned before still holds - great ride quality, good grip, and excellent stability in crosswinds. I'm not saying the van doesn't move at all - it's a Vanagon, it's never going to be as stable as a small car. However, the difference was in confidence. At no time did I ever feel like the van was going to get away from me, or even move much at all. With some tires I've had on it, trips were exercises in ulcers - never really knowing where the van was going to go, and finding myself being pushed across the highway by a full lane. With these tires, it is calm driving, even if you can feel the winds. Sure, you still have to make steering corrections sometimes, but it is never in a panic. The difference is amazing.

I feel these tires are well-worth the prices being charged for them. No, I'm not a Michelin employee, and I don't own a tire shop selling them. What I am is a very happy Vanagon owner who enjoys spending time in the bus even more than I used to. Highly recommended.

I put some pictures of the latest rendition of my bus at photos.yahoo.com/CTBTypeR, in the Race Bus album. I'm just a few chrome strips away from having the van look like I want it to (i.e. no chrome), and the new wheels and tires are exactly what I wanted.

Chris '84 GL