Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Apr 2002 10:47:07 -0400
From:         Ben huot <huotx@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: Another Newbie...armed with questions...
Comments: To: Tom Rowsell <nfld_exile@WARP.NFLD.NET>

Q.: your question A.: answer

Q.:1/ Coolant tank (behind license plate) is empty. Van does not overheat. I understand that this is the place to check/add coolant?

A.: Check is the expansion tank level is above the minimum mark, this is very important. The expansion tank (located on the left / rear side when you open the engine hatch) will suck what ever it needs to be full from the refill tank behind the licence plate. Fill this one until it's full and add some to the refill tank.

Q.: 2/ Coolant gauge does not move, even after 1.5 hours of driving. Where do I start looking?

A.: How do you know if the van doesn't overheat if the coolant gauge is stuck? Change / check the coolant sender first, it is located on the front of the thermostat housing (located on the left/front side of the engine hatch) see link: http://www3.sympatico.ca/huotx/engine/termo_bleeder.jpg You see my finger, on the right of the yellow plug there is a flexible tube, that goes from the upper bleeding ring too the front lower part of the housing, just bellow that you tube you will see the gauge connector / sender. To access that sender it is easier to go under the van. You could also unplug this one (connector) to see if it's properly attached.

Q.: 3/ Front table is missing. I'd like to get my brother, a welder, to fabricate me a suitable substitute pipe/frame. What are the dimensions of the fron L-shaped leg? ie how high, how wide?

A.:The height id 2 feet, about 1 feet wide (length of the smaller part of the "L" letter). Diameter is 1 3/8.

Q.: 4/ Pastel White paint is faded badly, with some rust spots. I am thinking about a paint job, and changing the color. What's a good color choice to go with the brown interior ?

A.: Changing the color implicate that you remove most of the interior so all the interior metal part (the one you see) can be painted!!! Don't think it's a very good idea.

Ps.: Get the Bentley mechanical repair book

Regards and good luck, Ben http://www3.sympatico.ca/huotx/engine1.htm